[comp.sys.apollo] Sun Rebuttal

gallen@apollo.COM (Gary Allen) (04/21/89)

In article <182@santa_fe.UUCP> ami@santa_fe.UUCP (Ami Peterson -CSD) writes:

>Again, I did not mean to start a flame war about
>technology.  I simply stated that Sun has three
>times the employees that Apollo has, which was
>correcting someone who had proviously posted.
>Some people are making this out to be a lot more
>than it is.  And I feel my comment about Apollo
>needing to be rescued was right on. I know many
>former Apollo employees who have informed me that
>this needed to happen. I feel that Apollo should
>feel lucky that were bought out by a great company
>like HP.
>
>Ami

I don't know how many employees Sun has, but
Apollo has about 4500 as opposed to the 3000 to
which you referred. Furthermore, we are in the
workstation business, not networks or minicomputers.

Unfortunately, the problem was not about being bailed out.
Apollo has actually been doing quite well; unfortunately
nowhere near as well as Sun. The sharks had been circling
for about a year or so and it was getting harder and harder
to avoid being acquired. When HP approached, the choice was to
be "had" by a "great company" as you put it, or inevitably
be taken over by someone less. There was no such "rescue"
necessary; HP bought a profitable corporation.

Lastly, I must point out that no matter how you and your
company choose to word it, Sun *IS* substantially owned
by another company - AT&T.

Gary Allen
Apollo Computer
Chelmsford, MA