[comp.sys.apollo] tektronix 4010/4014

timv@CADFX.ENG.UIOWA.EDU (Timothy VanFosson) (04/17/89)

Does anyone know of a PD utility that will let me emulate a Tektronix 4010/4014
terminal in an Apollo window?  Low-cost commercial packages would also be of
interest.

Thanks -
--tv
---
Timothy VanFosson                           Internet : timv@cadfx.eng.uiowa.edu
Systems Analyst                             US Mail  : CAD-Research
University of Iowa                                     1405 Engineering Building
Phone : (319) 335 - 5728                               Iowa City, Iowa 52242

                My opinions, as well as my mistakes, are my own.

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (04/19/89)

In article <8904171524.AA06391@cadfx.eng.uiowa.edu>, timv@CADFX.ENG.UIOWA.EDU (Timothy VanFosson) writes:

> Does anyone know of a PD utility that will let me emulate a Tektronix 4010/4014
> terminal in an Apollo window?  Low-cost commercial packages would also be of
> interest.

Try contacting Danford Corporation in CA.
--
___________________

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069
-------------------

weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) (04/21/89)

In article <42b69cf9.b11a@falcon.engin.umich.edu> conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) writes:

   Try contacting Danford Corporation in CA.

Try not contacting Danford Corp. since we have used many of their
products over the last three years.  Every one has been buggy or badly
designed and the support has been simply pitiful.  Unfortunately, they
have been one of the few firms to offer a number of programs and
hardware addons that meet some important needs on Apollo systems.
Just beware.

--
Bob Weiner, Motorola, Inc.,   USENET:  ...!gatech!uflorida!novavax!weiner
(407) 738-2087

oj@apollo.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (04/22/89)

In article <8904171524.AA06391@cadfx.eng.uiowa.edu>, timv@CADFX.ENG.UIOWA.EDU (Timothy VanFosson) writes:

> Does anyone know of a PD utility that will let me emulate a Tektronix 4010/4014
> terminal in an Apollo window?  Low-cost commercial packages would also be of
> interest.

Apollo sells a package named DTEK that does just that.  I don't know
prices, sorry.

The "xterm" utility that's provided on the X Window System tape
contains a 401x emulation mode.  Of course, that doesn't
use an Apollo window, but rather an X window.

/oj

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (04/24/89)

I would not recommend Apollo's DTEK Tektronix 4014
emulator package. Our experience with it has been poor.
Among other things, it is limited to reading disk files
containing Tek 4014 commands or to dialing out on
an SIO line (an RS232 port). The copy of DTEK that we
got would *not* turn your window into a virtual terminal
like the VT100 emulator does at let you then run programs
meant for a Tektronix terminal. You must run your programs
and pipe their output into a disk file after which you
can use DTEK to examine the result. There was no way to
run DTEK as an interactive terminal emulator. When I called
the software support office, they said that they had no plans
to update the package. Unles they have changed their minds
since then, I would recommend *against* buying DTEK.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu