[comp.sys.apollo] MTBFs of Apollos

rblinne@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Richard Blinne) (04/27/89)

My manager is working on a maintenence study for our Apollos and
needs to know the mean time between failures for various different
types of Apollos.  Does anyone know the MTBFs for Apollo 3000, 3500,
4000, and 4500s.  Thank you.

Rich Blinne, NCR E&M Wichita

dennis@PUMPKIN-PATCH.NOSC.MIL (Dennis Cottel) (04/28/89)

Rich Blinne asked:

> My manager is working on a maintenence study for our Apollos and
> needs to know the mean time between failures for various different
> types of Apollos.  Does anyone know the MTBFs for Apollo 3000, 3500,
> 4000, and 4500s.  Thank you.

Last year in response to a similar internal request, I put together
the following note.  My feeling is that things have been at least as
good -- maybe better -- since then.
                                                          --Dennis

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

Hardware reliability summary for DN3000/DN4000 machines.     July 13, 1988
We have 20 DN3000s and 1 DN4000.

We now have 266 node-months of use out of these machines.

I ignored hardware calls that were made during the first few weeks
which seemed to have to do with getting the machine working right in
the first place.

We have had 13 hardware failures:
   4 displays replaced
   1 display controller card replaced
   2 noisy disks - fixed without replacing disks    *
   2 tape controller cards loose                    *
   1 power supply replaced
   1 tape drive replaced
   1 disk controller card replaced
   1 new battery

The MTBF is therefore about 20 node-months.

If you don't count the *starred items above which were not really
hardware failures in that nothing had to be replaced, then there
are 9 broken pieces over the 266 node-months -- pretty close to
three years MTBF.

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (04/29/89)

In article <5105@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM>, rblinne@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Richard Blinne) writes:
>                    Does anyone know the MTBFs for Apollo 3000, 3500,
> 4000, and 4500s.  Thank you.

I would also like to know this information and if possible, a comparision
between the above Apollo nodes and the reliability information for
Sun.

BTW, according to reliability theory, MTBF (mean time Between failures)
is not as meaningful as MTTF (Mean time to failure).

             ---------------          ------------------
             |             |          |
             |<-- MTTF --->|<- MTTR ->|
             |             |          |
     --------|             |----------|

              <------ MTBF ---------->

Therefore the MTBF actually should include the MTTR (mean time
to repair). Manufacturers that are not aware seldom make this
distintion, and when quoting MTBF information they actually are
telling you MTTF!!

In the exciting world :) of reliability theory (and for those
military type guys), MTTF is the measure of choice. i.e. how
long will it run.

eg. A system could have a MTBF of 50 000 hours, however, it is
a bad system if the MTTR is actually 48 000 hours!!

Caveat Computor

--
Danny Wilson
IDACOM Electronics		danny@idacom.uucp

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (05/02/89)

In article <639@idacom.UUCP> danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) writes:
>BTW, according to reliability theory, MTBF (mean time Between failures)
>is not as meaningful as MTTF (Mean time to failure).
>             ---------------          ------------------
>             |<-- MTTF --->|<- MTTR ->|
>Therefore the MTBF actually should include the MTTR (mean time
>to repair).

We have the standard Apollo maintenance contract, and our mean time to
repair hardware problems has been measured in hours.  For example,
last week I made a call to the Apollo hotline at 0930 and the node was
repaired by 1115.  This is typical of the service we have been
getting.  The CE (Chris Evans, San Diego office) even apologized for
being late!