[comp.sys.apollo] unix mail configuration in an internet of rings

vskahan@lgnp1.LS.COM (Vince Skahan) (04/28/89)

Is there a recommended configuration for unix mail in a local internet
of multiple rings ??? It seems a little dumb to link all the
/usr/spool/mail directories to one place but then again, if you don't,
to send mail from node A to node B on another ring, you'd have to know
which node was the other guy's gateway.

We've had to set up /mail to point to one place for DPSS mail but once
again, it's a little scary.  We don't want to knock out mail for 50
nodes or so if one native ethernet gateway goes down.

We've kind of made a local standard against linking across rings with
the exception of finding the master registry and one or two specific
applications such as Cadre Teamwork (folks on lots of rings have to
share the same models so we link them all to one dc_server).

Also, I added mailers for unix <--> DPSS mail for the SR10 nodes and
would like to know if it's possible to interface DPSS mail with a
*remote* unix mail location...I can send DPSS to user@unix but what I'd
really like to do is to mail to user%nodename@unix or something like
that.  By the same token, I'd like to not link DPSS across rings and get
the ability to mail to user%nodename@dpss, etc. if that's the smartest
way to do it.

I have an old picture of Apollo's corporate network that came in the
mail one time on the wall and it looks huge...how do you folks handle
mail (do you use DPSS or unix or both) ???

Also, I seem to remember someone from Mentor asking about mail a few
weeks ago.  How do you folks handle multiple rings ???

Thanks for any help...
--
Vince Skahan - please reply to skahan@boeing.com or bcsaic!psev!bcs212

Note: any comments expressed above are mine and have no relation to
Boeing or the real nice folks who let me read news on their system...

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (05/02/89)

In article <1537@lgnp1.LS.COM> vskahan@lgnp1.LS.COM (Vince Skahan) writes:

>I have an old picture of Apollo's corporate network that came in the
>mail one time on the wall and it looks huge...how do you folks handle
>mail (do you use DPSS or unix or both) ???

Some people use sendmail, but most of the sites have a link
to a post office site local to a particular ring in the
network.  Which postal site mail arrives at is not visible
to the sender.  The saving grace to this system is that the
version of DPSS used internally supports store and forward,
so if the network is down the mail still gets sent eventually.

To forestall any questions, no there are no plans to release
that version of DPSS (nor do I think you would really want
it - personal opinion only).  I don't really know enough
about how to set up sendmail configurations to recommend
what to do in that area, but I'm sure someone on the net
has dealt with the same problem.
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (05/02/89)

In article <42f7c091.1b147@apollo.COM> nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>... the version of DPSS used internally supports store and forward,
>so if the network is down the mail still gets sent eventually.

We use Berkeley Mail and sendmail with all nodes linked to a single
/usr/spool directory.  One problem with this: during the time the node
with this directory is down, users can't even launch messages with
Mail.

This is currently a general problem with spoolers on the network, also
including PRF (at SR9 anyway).  If the spooling disk is unavailable,
the user can't complete the task and go on to something else.  I would
think that what you want to do is to spool the job onto the boot disk
(which is guaranteed to be available since you are running on it), and
then have a daemon process collect and process it.

The only way around this that I can see for the mail issue is to run a
sendmail daemon (and /usr/spool directory) on every node.  I have
resisted this because (a) it seems like more admin work, (b) it's nice
to have a single address for all the Apollo users, and (c) Apollo told
me to do it the other way ;-).  Maybe I should rethink this.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis