[comp.sys.apollo] Flames against Ami

reb@quintro.UUCP (Roger E. Benz) (04/21/89)

> From: ami%suntops%pitstop%male%sun-arpa.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov (CSD)
> Subject: Re: Welcome to the New Wave
>
> I believe that Apollo had a little over 3,000 employees.
> Sun has at LEAST three times that. We are also doing
> so well that we don't need someone to come to our rescue.

Dear Ami,

I have been reading the flame war between you and the Apollo group for
a few days now and want to add to the war.

You keep stating that your response was to correct some errors in an
earlier posting.  However, your posting of the number of employees
at Apollo was incorrect.  You also claim that you were not flaming
anyone or anything.  But to me

>                                    We are also doing
> so well that we don't need someone to come to our rescue.

is a flame against Apollo.

So before you start defending yourself GET YOUR OWN FACTS STRAIGHT!
Also, even if you were correct (which you aren't) you deserve every
flame you receive.  How dare you come onto our news group and imply
that SUN is better than Apollo.  Only their marketing is better.
Apollos hardware and software is MUUUCH better than SUN's.  Your own
comment proves that.  You claimed that SUN had 3 times the staff as
Apollo, yet their sales were not even twice as much.  That must mean
that all those extra people are needed to support a lower quality
product.
Right?

Roger E. Benz		   Phone = (217) 223-3211
Quintron Corporation	   Quincy, Il
UUCP: {elroy,lll-winken,laidbak}!spl1!quintro!reb

ami@suntops.UUCP (CSD) (04/22/89)

In article <330@quintro.UUCP> reb@quintro.UUCP (Roger E. Benz) writes:

>You keep stating that your response was to correct some errors in an
>earlier posting.  However, your posting of the number of employees
>at Apollo was incorrect.

 	I was told the number of employees at Apollo by
      	an APOLLO EMPLOYEE, which I have stated previously
 	but which you have cared to ignore.  I am truly
	sorry that that employeed does not know the number
	of employees in her company.

>So before you start defending yourself GET YOUR OWN FACTS STRAIGHT!

	My facts are straight.  Sun carries 30% of the
	workstation market. From what I am told, HP + Apollo
	still is much smaller.

>  How dare you come onto our news group and imply
>that SUN is better than Apollo.  Only their marketing is better.

	Sorry, this is everyone's news group. If you want
 	to be prejudice about the postings, get yourself
	an Apollo moderator.

	You can believe what you want, but the truth
	is that Sun came up from nowhere a few years
	ago and stole the market away from both you
	and Dec, who were always the leaders. Now we
	hold the largest share of the market.   We must
	be doing something right.

Ami

disclaimer...

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (04/22/89)

I just have one thing to say to you at this point...

Get a CLUE!

Andrew Wescott

freedman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Dan Freedman) (04/23/89)

Corporate loyalty from both the Sun side and the Hpollo sides of the
fence has been invoked in this newsgroup recently.  Lets face it, both
Sun's and Apollo's workstations are really neat pieces of technology.
Sun definately has the edge on marketing, and Apollo has the edge on
technology.  (Yes, Sun has recently announced some really nifty new
workstations, but we all know that the computer business is a leapfrog
game - each vendor leapfrogs over the other vendor's latest
technology).

BUT, REGARDLESS OF WHICH IS MORE ADVANCED OR WHICH SELLS BETTER, I
don't think there will be too much disagreement with the statement
that ALL workstations currently available are an extremely long way
from being perfect machines.  The o/s's are full of bugs.  The
software is slow, and the system's overhead is high.  The
compatibility between systems is pretty poor.  Everybody's customer
service is lousy (can anyone truly say that they are happy with the
technical support that they get from their vendor?  If so, did you get
good technical support from the beginning, or did you have to really
fight for it?).

Lets hope that Hpollo really *can* give Sun a run for its money.  If
it can't, the losers will be us, the customers, because the incentive
to improve the systems will be reduced.  After all, why spend many
dollars on development if the equipment is already selling well, and
if there is no competition waiting to take over with better systems.
Let's hope that with a few big players all competing for the
workstation market, we will see better systems *and* better marketing
and support from all vendors.

Dan Freedman
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      freedman@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!freedman

samit@demon.siemens.com (Ben Samit) (04/24/89)

In article <187@santa_fe.UUCP> ami@santa_fe.UUCP (Ami Peterson -CSD) writes:
>In article <330@quintro.UUCP> reb@quintro.UUCP (Roger E. Benz) writes:
>>
>>So before you start defending yourself GET YOUR OWN FACTS STRAIGHT!
>
>	My facts are straight.  Sun carries 30% of the
>	workstation market. From what I am told, HP + Apollo
>	still is much smaller.

From the bar chart on the front page of the EE Times of April 17, 1989:

    1988 Market Share:

        Sun    28.3%
        DEC    18.6%
        HP     16.9%
        Apollo 13.5%

 HP + Apollo = 30.4%

BS
|                     "It's a jelly" - Bob McKenzie                          |
| ARPA:    samit@demon.siemens.com           uucp: ..!princeton!demon!samit  |
| snail:   Siemens SCR  755 College Rd East  Princeton, NJ 08540-6668        |
| These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer. |

kelley@apollo.COM (John S. Kelley) (04/26/89)

Kindred Folk.  Thank you for your fine efforts to educate Ami.
I admire her loyalty to her company and their products.  She's
the best representative Sun could offer.

John Kelley              |    These are my thoughts.
Apollo Computer, Inc.    |    Do not assume they
300 Billerica Road       |    represent Apollo's.
Chelmsford, MA 0182      4     |
508 256 6600 x8695       |
kelley@apollo.com        |

collins@nvpna1.prl.philips.nl (Donal O'Coileain) (04/26/89)

In article <187@santa_fe.UUCP> ami@santa_fe.UUCP (Ami Peterson -CSD) writes:
>>So before you start defending yourself GET YOUR OWN FACTS STRAIGHT!
>	My facts are straight.  Sun carries 30% of the
>	workstation market. From what I am told, HP + Apollo
>	still is much smaller.

This is NOT a flame, just a correction of the above.

Sun holds 28.3% of the market, while the HP-Apollo combination has 30.4%.

__
 /    /      /
Donal O Coileain.   collins@nvpna1.prl.philips.nl or
                    collins@apolloway.prl.philips.nl

-- And out of the gloom a voice said, 'Smile and be happy for things could
   be a lot worse'. So I smiled and was happy and behold, things got worse --

tomg@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Thomas J. Gilg) (04/27/89)

>>> So before you start defending yourself GET YOUR OWN FACTS STRAIGHT!
>>	My facts are straight.  Sun carries 30% of the

> Sun holds 28.3% of the market, while the HP-Apollo combination has 30.4%.

FYI,

Breakdown of Workstation Players previous to Apollo + HP deal

  Sun     28.3%
  DEC     18.6%
  HP      16.9%
  Apollo  13.5%
  Others  22.7%

A little old, but figures from Dataquest, May 1988, for the
Western European Technical Workstations Market Shares.

           Sales:             Units:
1) HP      27.1%              24.9%
2) Apollo  24.1%              24.1%
3) Sun     19.3%              23.1%
4) DEC     13.3%              13.1%
5) Other   (rest)             (rest)

      Thomas Gilg
tomg%hp-pcd@hplabs.hp.com

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum) (05/02/89)

In article <1198@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> freedman@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca.UUCP (Dan Freedman) writes:

>[ . . .] Everybody's customer
>service is lousy (can anyone truly say that they are happy with the
>technical support that they get from their vendor?  If so, did you get
>good technical support from the beginning, or did you have to really
>fight for it?).

We have had Apollos since 1983, when all you could get was the DN400, and
the 2-d graphics station which I can't remember the model number of (DN600?).
Since that time, we have had excellent customer support from Apollo, up until
we switched to internal Honeywell support due to mistaken ideas about cost.
Apollo usually had someone out within a couple hours for hardware problems,
and the hotline was usually very helpful (though the time was longer).

We did have some problems with one of the technicians they sent out a few times,
but that was cleared up when the new technician took over.

All in all, we had many good things to say about Apollo support, and few bad.

On the other hand, we have also had Suns since the beginning as well.  And
we had the exact opposite experience with their technical support (what
technical support).  They were very slow and unwilling to accept that there
was a problem.

On another note, one Apollo system administrator could manage twice as many
workstations as our two Sun administrators.  Everything was easier on the
Apollo.  Backups were simple - one machine could backup the entire ring.
Software could be installed on any node in the ring from one node.  Many
other tasks were faster, easier, and more convenient.

None of these comments have anything to do with the technical merits of
either machine, or the cost (which we find Apollo to be cheaper when buying
multiple machines).

--
Brett Slocum   UUCP: ...uunet!hi-csc!slocum
               Arpa: hi-csc!slocum@uunet.uu.net