[comp.sys.apollo] xmodem over sio port

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum) (05/03/89)

Is there some way to use xmodem from the /com/emt command?   I'd like
to download stuff over a modem and the receiving end only has
xmodem.  If not from the emt command, how about using tip or cu
in unix.  Thanks for any info.

--
Brett Slocum   UUCP: ...uunet!hi-csc!slocum
               Arpa: hi-csc!slocum@uunet.uu.net

markd@jack.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) (05/04/89)

In article <42fc4320.805@hi-csc.UUCP>, slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum) writes:
> Is there some way to use xmodem from the /com/emt command?   I'd like
> to download stuff over a modem and the receiving end only has
> xmodem.

I have written a procedure using my User Supported VT-100 emulator,
PC-VT along with a version of XMODEM on the Apollo to transfer ASCII
files between the PC and the Apollo via a SIO port (which every
Apollo has).

Not quite as convenient as reading a floppy nor as expensive as buying
Apollo's DPCC software.

If anyone would like a copy, I have it posted on my BBS at
619-549-3927.

--
---------------------------------
Mark C. DiVecchio 10435 Mountain Glen Terrace, San Diego, CA 92131

kwongj@caldwr.UUCP (James Kwong) (05/05/89)

In article <42fc4320.805@hi-csc.UUCP>, slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum) writes:
> Is there some way to use xmodem from the /com/emt command?   I'd like
> to download stuff over a modem and the receiving end only has
> xmodem.  If not from the emt command, how about using tip or cu
> in unix.  Thanks for any info.
> Brett Slocum   UUCP: ...uunet!hi-csc!slocum
>                Arpa: hi-csc!slocum@uunet.uu.net

I had the same question a year ago. I don't think it is possible.
I'm been using the public domain program 'pcomm' ver. 2 by Emmet P. Gray.
It has xmodem protocol support and works over the sio port. It's similar
to the MSDOS Procomm program in case you are familar with it. I basically
downloaded the program, compilied it under system 5 and it ran without
much problem. This program was posted in comp.sources.unix back in
Sept. 88. If you need it, drop me an e-mail and i will shar them off.

Also if you are flexible, C-kermit 4e(72) from the Columbia
University archives also works on the Apollos.  One site to ftp the kermit
source is watsun.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.39.2).

JK
--
James Kwong  Calif. Depart. of H2O Resources, Sacramento, CA 95802
caldwr!kwongj@ucdavis.edu(Internet) ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!kwongj (UUCP)

gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) (05/05/89)

From article <42fc4320.805@hi-csc.UUCP>, by slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum):
> Is there some way to use xmodem from the /com/emt command?   I'd like
> to download stuff over a modem and the receiving end only has
> xmodem.  If not from the emt command, how about using tip or cu
> in unix.  Thanks for any info.

I assume that you are trying to use the APOLLO as the "smart terminal"
and another machine connected via SIO as the "host computer". Sorry
but I can't answer that. However, you can use the APOLLO as the "host
computer" and run the XMODEM V3.4 program distributed over the
comp.sources.unix newsgroup a couple of months ago, by applying the
following patch to getput.c:

--snip--
292a293,296

> #ifdef APOLLO
> 	if (fflush(stdout) < 0)
> #else
294a299
> #endif APOLLO
--snip--

> --
> Brett Slocum   UUCP: ...uunet!hi-csc!slocum
>                Arpa: hi-csc!slocum@uunet.uu.net
> "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

--
Gary Zaidenweber        |   Its 1989:
UUCP:   umix!apollo!gaz |   Do you know where your lawyer is?

gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) (05/05/89)

> I assume that you are trying to use the APOLLO as the "smart terminal"
> and another machine connected via SIO as the "host computer". Sorry
> but I can't answer that. However, you can use the APOLLO as the "host
> computer" and run the XMODEM V3.4 program distributed over the
> comp.sources.unix newsgroup a couple of months ago, by applying the
> following patch to getput.c:

Oops, I forgot to say that this works on SR10.1. We have version 3.2
running on SR9.7... but I don't know what, if any, changes may have
been required.