[comp.sys.apollo] Misc.

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP.UUCP (06/11/87)

Ashwin Ram mentions 'apropos' and case-sensitive names.

I used Aegis for 2.5 years without case-sensitivity, so the only
reason I see for needing this is for Unix-compatibility.

Apropos in Aegis would be nice, but on the other hand, Uni* could use
a meaningful index that one can read and understand.  The permuted
index is dreadful and practically unusable.

On the discussion of pathname features, I agree with Ashwin Ram's
comments about the Aegis '...' and the Un*x '~username' stuff.  I
would add that I prefer Aegis' `\` parent directory thing as being
more intuitive than Un*x's '..'.

'Again' vs. history:  I have a customized 'again' that grabs the last
command executed from the transcript pad without needing to move the
cursor to the line, basically identical to '!!'.  It works on Aegis,
Un*x, and debugger prompts.  The thing I like about it over '!!' is
that I can edit the command once I grab it, without remembering the
history hacking parameters.  I probably use history and a combination
of the standard and custom 'again's.

Robert Reed writes:

> ... simple functions that are easy to produce in other macro
> processors are impossible to do in the DM.

Unless I misunderstand your definition for 'macro processor', the DM
is not and does not claim to be a macroprocessor. It is a window-based
editor, and a pretty basic one at that, but one that applies anywhere
on the screen: edit windows, input pads, command line, etc.  If I want
more, I can run and do run a window with Emacs.  I really like Emacs,
but given that I have both, I don't see a problem.  Especially, when
Emacs has my Apollo keys defined for it, which our version does.

--Brett Slocum, Honeywell Corporate Systems Development Division

FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM (05/06/89)

I have a colleague who wishes to purchase memory upgrades, and external
winchester storage for two DN3500's. He was given prices for the memory
upgrades, and was shocked to hear that a 4 MBytes RAM card from Apollo
runs at a price of $3400! Now, this may be a little naive on my part,
but PC RAM, however slower, runs nowhere near as high in price, right?
(Please do correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been following the chip
prices)

Anyway, he's thinking of buying memory cards from another vendor, and
would like recommendations.

If you feel that using non-apollo memory in a 3500 is not smart, please
advise me. If you feel otherwise, let me know as well.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on external Winchester drives
for 3500's or 4000's? Price Ranges?

Finally, can anyone recommend a molecular modeling graphics package
for Apollos. Apollo told my colleague that Chem-X was available,
but the people who make that package told my colleague that that's
absurd.

Thanks,
Scott Ferguson
ferguson@erevax.bitnet