[comp.sys.apollo] X Window on SR10.1

mike@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Mike L Patnode) (05/12/89)

I recently aquirred a copy of X of SR10.0.  Unfortunatly RAI wouldn't
install it on anything but 10.0.  So I tried it by hand.  After
replacing gprlib and dm with the ones that came on the tape, the machine
wouldn't boot past the rc.* files.  The last message I see is

"Starting other daemons."

and then I'm lost.  By killing the machine, running salvol, and then the
single process shell (AKA single user mode) I can put back the old files
and everything is fine.  X is not supported yet (for reasons such as
this) but I was wondering if anybody had managed to get it running under
10.1.

mucho thanks.
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode
244 California Blvd            |         mpatnode@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
San Luis Obispo, Ca  92630     | (805) 541-2048 / 543-9818 / 756-2516

sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (05/14/89)

Hiya,

     We are running the X/DM beta product here.  It works quite well,
though it could be faster.  It integrates fairly well with the DM,
that is, either X or the DM can own the root window and it is easy
to switch between them.

     Of course there are a few problems.  One is that the user must
remember to switch to a DM root at node logout.  There needs to be
a DM logout file (like the .logout of csh).  The other problem, which
is more major, is the gprlib.  It does not work properly with icons.
If you iconize a gmacs window, and de-iconize it, goodbye machine.
This does not happen if you issue the icon command from the dm window.

     My advice is to wait for SR10.2, when X/DM will be part of the
OS.

Maurice Sharp
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (05/16/89)

In article <1367@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca.UUCP (Maurice Sharp) writes:
>     Of course there are a few problems.  One is that the user must
>remember to switch to a DM root at node logout.  There needs to be
>a DM logout file (like the .logout of csh).  The other problem, which
>is more major, is the gprlib.  It does not work properly with icons.
>If you iconize a gmacs window, and de-iconize it, goodbye machine.
>This does not happen if you issue the icon command from the dm window.

I'm currently running the internal SR10.2 version, so I'm not sure when this
applies, however I'm certainly not aware of the switch to DM root problem
(I always run X root (but then, my office-mate deleted the entire /sys/dm
tree :-)).  However there is (and has been for a while) a DM logout
script.  I believe it uses the same naming conventions as the other DM
scripts in /sys/dm, this one named (somewhat strangely, I'll admit)
"startup_logout".
						-kee
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###