[comp.sys.apollo] Enabling logins with sr10.1 and Hayes 2400bd modem...

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (05/10/89)

I have just upgraded a stand-alone DN3000 to SR10.1 and
was that fun!       Now I find that not only doesn't
Kermit (4E.070) not run (it has to be recompiled as if
for BSD4.2), but I cant get the getty process to handle
my Hayes 2400 bd modem.

Any suggestions on:
  1) what device type from /etc/gettytab should I specify in
     the /dev/tty01 entry in /etc/ttys for the Hayes 2400B
     smartmodem.
  2) what commands should I issue to the modem to set it up
     properly for logins.  (This is the modem without switches!
     It has to be set up by issuing AT commands ).

So far I have not been able to get the modem to stay online.
I hangs up the line as soon as I log in.  Also, is there anything
special about an account in the registry that permits it to
log into the system?  None of this is clearly described in the
apollo documentation for 10.1

Any help will be greatly appreciated.   I've wasted too much time
on all this....!

Richard Friedman (Pacific-Sierra Research/Berkeley)
    rchrd @ well
    (415) 540 5216

--
 ...Richard Friedman [rchrd]  Berkeley, CA.
    rchrd@well.uucp        -or-

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (05/17/89)

Well, the troubles I was having trying to enable logins on
SR10.1 (BSD) went away when I changed the /etc/ttys definition
of the dialup line from the default  tty01   to   sio1  .
This was suggested by a comp.sys.apollo reader (whose name I
have unfortunatly forgotten in my excitement).   One syndrome that
I encountered that was fixed by this change was the inability to
change the backspace/erase character.  The terminal would not
respond to any change via stty or tset, and it seemed there was
no way to get the terminal to reconginze backspace or delete.
Changing the name of the dialup to  sio1  fixed allthis.
I assume the problem lies somewhere deep in getty that is looking
at the device name and only recognizes  sio1   and not  any of the
tty lines.

I called 800-2apollo  about this and got no positive response, only
mild disbelief.

Thanks again to our informant, who should identify himself here.
Its amazing how much accumulated knowledge is out there!

--
 ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp
    (Pacific-Sierra Research/Berkeley, CA.)

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (05/17/89)

------------Response 5/17/89 --------------------------

If what you say is really true...then I feel braindead!  I have been
trading phone calls for months with 1-800 on this problem (but they
stopped returning them a long time ago!).  They said they were
going to hook up a PC with vt100 emulation and a modem and test this,
but I don't think they ever did.  I never thought to try sio1.
In fact, I brought the problem up with this group, but none of the
suggestions worked.  So I chalked the problem up to my own ignorance.
This means my users will quit creating foo.foo?????????? files in
their directories which they don't know how to rename or delete.

Write an APR on this!

Andrew Wescott
University of Houston
Department of Chemical Engineering

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (05/20/89)

In article <8905171442.AA00532@lnic1.hprc.uh.edu> wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) writes:
>If what you say is really true...then I feel braindead!  I have been
>trading phone calls for months with 1-800 on this problem (but they
>stopped returning them a long time ago!).
>
>Write an APR on this!

Done  APR#0852D390 was sent 17 May indicating that etc/ttys
must use sio1 etc rather than tty01 for logins to work properly
on 10.1
--

weber_w@apollo.COM (Walt Weber) (05/22/89)

In article <11743@well.UUCP> rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) writes:

>Done  APR#0852D390 was sent 17 May indicating that etc/ttys
>must use sio1 etc rather than tty01 for logins to work properly
>on 10.1
>--
> ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp

Huh??  I've used tty01 without any problem on my 4000 (and on other
nodes like 3000's).  The only difference I have seen is that the
tty0x devices REQUIRE carrier detect to be (true/high/active) in
order for getty's open(2) to complete.  I actually needed a REAL
modem eliminator cable, and not just the cheap'n'dirty 2-3-7-20.

I'll be very surprised if your assertion (above) is true.  It is
possible that a problem might exist on a specific hardware platform.

...walt...

--
Walt Weber                            Apollo Computer
(508) 256-6600 x8315                  People's Republic of Massachusetts