[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo on Appletalk

hysell@kodak.UUCP (John Hysell) (05/25/89)

A while back, I saw a few folks kicking around the notion of putting an
Appletalk card into a 3000 or 4000 series Apollo, and then modifying the
PRSVR to converse with an Apple LaserWriter over Appletalk.  This was
supposed to address the poor printing speed when dealing with large bitmap
output like those that result from CPSCR calls.
    Has anyone actually done this?  What driver do you use, and where
do you purchase the cards?  (Are they standard Apple-supplied boards?)

-John

art@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (Art McClinton) (05/25/89)

ipt
Calabasas, CA
818/347-7791
has the product you are asking about.  I have seen it running in the local
Apollo sales office.  I am just now ordering it so can not give you any
first hand experience.  Appears to have lots of software to do many different
things.

*
*---Art
*
*Arthur T. McClinton Jr.     ARPA: ART@MITRE.ARPA
*Mitre Corporation MS-Z305   Phone: 703-883-6356
*1820 Dolley Madison Blvd    Internal Mitre: ART@MWVMS or M10319@MWVM
*McLean, Va. 22102           DECUS DCS: MCCLINTON
*

  =-=- This note is in response to yours which follows -=-=

A while back, I saw a few folks kicking around the notion of putting an
Appletalk card into a 3000 or 4000 series Apollo, and then modifying the
PRSVR to converse with an Apple LaserWriter over Appletalk.  This was
supposed to address the poor printing speed when dealing with large bitmap
output like those that result from CPSCR calls.
    Has anyone actually done this?  What driver do you use, and where
do you purchase the cards?  (Are they standard Apple-supplied boards?)

-John

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (05/25/89)

Most of the people I have talked to who have
actually used IPT's software have given it
so-so ratings. The typical comment was
"it works, but it's kind of kludgey ...".

If anyone has had any better experience with
IPT's product (or the lattest versions of it),
I'd like to hear about it.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu