[comp.sys.apollo] Future of Apollo

FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM (06/01/89)

I just read a small portion of Electronic News, saying that HP executives
have acknowledged plans to phase out the DN10000 in the next few years.
The article also states:

    "Lewis E. Platt, HP executive vice president for the Computer Products
Sector, said once Apollo operations are merged into HP's Workstation
group, up to 750 people, or 17 percent of Apollo's current workforce,
could face layoffs."

My Apollo sales rep has been emphatically telling me I should buy a 10000,
because 1) the future of the product is so bright, and 2) No other
company can give you the stability and support that HP/Apollo can.

What's wrong with this picture?
What do others think about this?

Scott Ferguson
Exxon Corporate Research
Annandale, NJ 08801

adam@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) (06/02/89)

In article <8906020235.AA00380@umix.cc.umich.edu> FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:

>I just read a small portion of Electronic News, saying that HP executives
>have acknowledged plans to phase out the DN10000 in the next few years.
>The article also states:
>
>    "Lewis E. Platt, HP executive vice president for the Computer Products
>Sector, said once Apollo operations are merged into HP's Workstation
>group, up to 750 people, or 17 percent of Apollo's current workforce,
>could face layoffs."
>
>My Apollo sales rep has been emphatically telling me I should buy a 10000,
>because 1) the future of the product is so bright, and 2) No other
>company can give you the stability and support that HP/Apollo can.
>
>What's wrong with this picture?
>What do others think about this?

There's nothing wrong with this picture, except for the fact that one
should remember the following: "Believe nothing of what you hear/read,
and only half of what you see"

It is rumored that HP will announce "a multi-processor graphics machine"
in the early summertime...sounds like a repackaged DN10K VS to
me.....Besides, a top of the line HP 835 Turbo/SRX (or whatever it is
called), costs A LOT more than a 10K, and doesn't perform nearly as
well, so why would you buy one over a 10K ???

If they really do decide to drop the 10K after a few years, I believe
they will find out rather quickly that they will LOSE market share, as
people will start looking to other vendors (DEC, Sun, SGI) who have high
performance, multi-processor boxes that can be expanded easily, and will
be supported forever (almost)

Standard disclaimers apply.

See y'all in New Orleans !

Internet: feigin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu		Adam Feigin
Bitnet: feigin@crnlthry				Workstation Consultant
UUCP: {backbones}!cornell!batcomputer!feigin	Cornell National Supercomputer

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) (06/03/89)

In an article FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:
>My Apollo sales rep has been emphatically telling me I should buy a 10000,
>because 1) the future of the product is so bright, and 2) No other
>company can give you the stability and support that HP/Apollo can.
>
>What's wrong with this picture?
>What do others think about this?

HP/Apollo has four major OS's (3 versions of UNIX and AEGIS) and four
major hardware platforms (HP's 68K and SPECTRUM, and Apollo's 68K and
PRISM).  Clearly, some platforms and OSs are going to go, and HP people
are going to choose what lives and what dies.  They own the company,
after all.

For these reasons, I believe that quote number 1 above is wishful thinking.

Quote number 2 is just sales talk.  Ignore it.  Sun, DEC and IBM can all
provide the about same level of stability and support (DEC and IBM a little
more stablity than Sun or HP/Apollo).

Interesting question:  Which is technically better PRISM or SPECTRUM?

Joshua Levy
--------                Quote: "If you haven't ported your program, it's not
Addresses:                      a portable program.  No exceptions."
joshua@atherton.com OR
sun!athertn!joshua  OR
{backbone}!{decwrl!hpda}!athertn!joshua  work:(408)734-9822 home:(415)968-3718

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (06/06/89)

   Interesting question:  Which is technically better PRISM or SPECTRUM?

   Joshua Levy

Better for what?  HP-PA (Sinclar makes Spectrum computers) is good at
context switch and IO, and has a lot of headroom for parallell and
fault-tolerant stuff (see the public architecture documents).  PRISM
is optimised for straight-line, "don't interrupt me" computation.

They may not be directly competing architectures.  I'm not making the
decision, of course.

wunder

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (06/06/89)

We found it to be not much of a contest....

From a very biased DN10000VS supporter,

Andrew Wescott
University of Houston
Department of Chemical Engineering

markley@celece.ucsd.edu (Mike Markley) (06/06/89)

In article <3960002@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

>   Interesting question:  Which is technically better PRISM or SPECTRUM?
>
>   Joshua Levy
>
>Better for what?  HP-PA (Sinclar makes Spectrum computers) is good at
>context switch and IO, and has a lot of headroom for parallell and
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is interesting.  All of the articles that I have read show
Apollo fairly far ahead of HP in the area of context switching
and multi-tasking.  The Apollo DN4500 even context switched
better than the HP370 and 390 minis.

Mike Markley
University of California, San Diego
markley@celece.ucsd.edu
markley@kubrick.ucsd.edu

jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) (06/07/89)

> HP/Apollo has four major OS's (3 versions of UNIX and AEGIS) and four
> major hardware platforms (HP's 68K and SPECTRUM, and Apollo's 68K and
> PRISM).

The HP 680x0 Un*xs and the series 800 Un*x are very, very similar, and are
headed in the same direction as Apollos.  In a year or so these will all
be OSF/1.  As may be DEC and IBM.

> Clearly, some platforms and OSs are going to go, and HP people
> are going to choose what lives and what dies.  They own the company,
> after all.

Apollo people are HP people now, one of several HP computer divisions.
Each HP division has considerable autonomy, but there are attempts to
minimize turf battles and product overlaps between divisions.  I believe
the Apollo people are well respected within HP for their technical capabilities,
so I believe Apollo will come out well in these coordination efforts.
In any case, HP cannot afford to negatively impact either customers who
have traditionally been "Apollo" or "HP" by these
coordination efforts.  One area where effort is going to be coordinated
is in the 68040 new product area.  But 68040 upgrades will be available for
both series300 and Apollo users.  The end result is that both HP and
Apollo customers will have a wider choice of hardware to run on,
a wider choice of software to run on it, and more people available to
help support the combined hardware and software.

> Quote number 2 is just sales talk.  Ignore it.

Don't ignore it, hold HP to it!  If HP lets you down in this area squawk
to high heaven!  ...but... many computer magazine surveys put HP #1 in these
areas.

> Interesting question:  Which is technically better PRISM or SPECTRUM?

I believe that both are technically very good designs, and should be
supported.  PRISM has unique capabilities that are admired.  Further, I believe
as we head more and more towards "Open Software" customers will feel less
and less locked into a particular CPU design, and will have much greater
flexibility in choosing the hardware they run on.  Without a lock on
customers, computer vendors will have to be even better at providing speed,
reliability, low cost, and support.

As an internal user of HP computers, I'm very excited about being able
to use Apollo hardware and software!

[not "official" pronouncements -- I'm just another grunt user]

mike@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike McNelly) (06/07/89)

> In article <3960002@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM> wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:
> >
> >   Interesting question:  Which is technically better PRISM or SPECTRUM?
> >
> >   Joshua Levy
> >
> >Better for what?  HP-PA (Sinclar makes Spectrum computers) is good at
> >context switch and IO, and has a lot of headroom for parallell and
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is interesting.  All of the articles that I have read show
> Apollo fairly far ahead of HP in the area of context switching
> and multi-tasking.  The Apollo DN4500 even context switched
> better than the HP370 and 390 minis.

Sorry but HP doesn't make a 390.  The HP9000 Series 370 is currently the
top of the Motorola 68030 based machines.  BTW, be wary of what you
read; religion frequently gets in the way of fact.

> Mike Markley
> University of California, San Diego
> markley@celece.ucsd.edu
> markley@kubrick.ucsd.edu

Mike McNelly
mike%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com

campbelr@hpclove.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (06/08/89)

>  . . . . . . . . .  The Apollo DN4500 even context switched
> better than the HP370 and 390 minis.
>
> Mike Markley

The reference was to the HP Precision Architecture (HP-PA) machines,
the 9000 series 800 models.  The 9000 series 300 models are Motorola
680[123]0 processors.  There currently isn't a model 390.
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.hp.com        talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

cricket@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (06/08/89)

/ hp-ses:comp.sys.apollo / markley@celece.ucsd.edu (Mike Markley) /  8:10 am  Jun  6, 1989 /

[ quote from wunder deleted ]

This is interesting.  All of the articles that I have read show
Apollo fairly far ahead of HP in the area of context switching
and multi-tasking.  The Apollo DN4500 even context switched
better than the HP370 and 390 minis.

Mike Markley
University of California, San Diego
markley@celece.ucsd.edu
markley@kubrick.ucsd.edu
----------

Say what?  I've never heard of either an HP370 or an HP390 mini.  I do
have an HP9000 model 370 *workstation* on my desk, though.  Is that one
of the models you meant?

cricket

scottg@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Scott_Gulland) (06/08/89)

>>   Interesting question:  Which is technically better PRISM or SPECTRUM?
>>
>>Better for what?  HP-PA (Sinclar makes Spectrum computers) is good at
>>context switch and IO, and has a lot of headroom for parallell and
> This is interesting.  All of the articles that I have read show
> Apollo fairly far ahead of HP in the area of context switching
> and multi-tasking.  The Apollo DN4500 even context switched
> better than the HP370 and 390 minis.

I not surprised, the HP370 is a 68000 based and is not part of the HP-PA
family.  The 390 on the other hand doesn't exist.

scottg@hpiacla