[comp.sys.apollo] Need help with NCS programming/documentation

lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (06/06/89)

Has anyone done programming with NCS?  We have the NCS Reference
manual and the examples loaded onto our system but the documentation
is incomplete.  For instance, many of the examples use socket_$ calls
but there is very little discussion of them in the reference manual.
I think these calls are in defined /usr/include/idl/c/socket.h loaded
with the NCS software and not in the standard <sys/socket.h>.
Where is there more extensive documentation?  There's only so much
one can figure out from examples and include files.  Thanks.
(BTW, we're running this under SR9.7 / BSD4.2.)

Yan.
      Yan K. Lau                    + the last message of a newgroup will be:
   )~                               +   a) longer than one screen &
 ~/~  lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu +   b) something you're not interested in.
 /\_                                + your decision, 'n' key or space bar?

mk@apollo.COM (Mike Kong) (06/08/89)

In article <11712@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>Has anyone done programming with NCS?  We have the NCS Reference
>manual and the examples loaded onto our system but the documentation
>is incomplete.  For instance, many of the examples use socket_$ calls
>but there is very little discussion of them in the reference manual.
>I think these calls are in defined /usr/include/idl/c/socket.h loaded
>with the NCS software and not in the standard <sys/socket.h>.
>Where is there more extensive documentation?  There's only so much
>one can figure out from examples and include files.  Thanks.

The next version of the NCS Reference will describe the socket_$ calls, along
with other old and new functionality not covered by the first version.  Look for
the new manual with the next release of NIDL.

For a readable online description of the socket_ interface, refer to
/usr/include/idl/socket.idl rather /usr/include/idl/c/socket.h (socket.h
is generated from socket.idl).

Mike Kong