[comp.sys.apollo] tar and /dev/rct12

khaw@pplace.COM (Mike Khaw) (06/06/89)

Domain_OS 10.1, DN4500, bsd environment.

I just made a tar tape using:

	tar cf /dev/rct12 .
	cd somewhere else
	tar cf /dev/rct12

(rct12 is the non-rewinding 1/4" cart. tape drive device file).

The machine that I made the tape on can't read the 2nd tar archive
(it says something about /dev/rct12 being non-existent) using either
tar or dd.

I can read the tape on a Sun using /dev/nrst8 (QIC-24 format, nonrewinding).

Seems to me tar is (still) broken on Apollos.  Is there a patch to fix
this problem?

Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043	415/691-6749
Domain=khaw@parcplace.com, UUCP={uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!khaw

markley@celece.ucsd.edu (Mike Markley) (06/07/89)

In article <526@parcplace.pplace.COM> khaw@pplace () writes:
>Domain_OS 10.1, DN4500, bsd environment.
>
>I just made a tar tape using:
>
>	tar cf /dev/rct12 .
>	cd somewhere else
>	tar cf /dev/rct12
>
>(rct12 is the non-rewinding 1/4" cart. tape drive device file).
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the problem.  You must first rewind the tape.  I agree
that tar is broken if it doesn't understand that the tape needs
to be rewound.

Mike Markley
University of California, San Diego
markley@celece.ucsd.edu
markley@kubrick.ucsd.edu

khaw@pplace.COM (Mike Khaw) (06/09/89)

<6592@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, by markley@celece.ucsd.edu (Mike Markley):
+ In article <526@parcplace.pplace.COM> khaw@pplace () writes:
+>Domain_OS 10.1, DN4500, bsd environment.
+>
+>I just made a tar tape using:
+>
+>	tar cf /dev/rct12 .
+>	cd somewhere else
+>	tar cf /dev/rct12
+>
+>(rct12 is the non-rewinding 1/4" cart. tape drive device file).
+ This is the problem.  You must first rewind the tape.  I agree
+ that tar is broken if it doesn't understand that the tape needs
+ to be rewound.

No, my intent was to write a second tar archive on the tape, and it
apparently did that correctly, because I was able to read the 2 tar
archives on a Sun using its nonrewinding device file.  It seems to me
what an Apollo can write, it should be able to read back.