[comp.sys.apollo] mail

markg@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Mark Giuffrida) (05/16/89)

	>We are a large Apollo site (about 700 nodes) running 9.7.1
	>(soon to be 10.1) Domain/IX.  We use primarily Unix Sys V
	>since we are now part of an ATT JV.
	>adding to the mailbox (all 700 nodes are linked to one /usr/mail dir).

	This is really not a good idea.  Very few mail programs check to
	make sure that their 'write()'s succeed.  If the network gets flakey,
	or something else goes wrong you could easily lose your entire
	mailbox.  In addition you have the cost of 700 users beating on
	a single directory every few minutes checking to see if there
	is new mail.

I must disagree with this statement.  I am responsible for the mail environment
here at the University of Michigan CAEN.  We have 500 Apollos and they all
link to one spool directory.  We modified SENDMAIL extensively to work in
a distributed enviornment.  One of the changes is to accomodate Apollos file
locking.  If the mailbox cannot be opened for write, it simply leaves the
message queued (it will not bounce) and tries again later.  With syslog
output going to the main node, you can watch the entire mail environment as
it happens by "tail -f" that log file (we call it Mail-TV or MTV for short).
A smart administrator can catch problems long in advance of them becoming a
problem by watching the log output.  To give another small example, the
message-id incorportes the nodeid in it so that we can tell exactly which
node generated the message.  We now traffic about 1500 msgs/day (1/3 of them
nonlocal) and have very few problems.  Also, we find the cost of checking for
new mail is not even noticeable.

The sendmail Apollo ships is a straight port from BSD and it isn't specifically
modified to handle the situations that arise in a distributed environment.  Until
X.400 takes over, vendors need to be concerned with current mailers like SENDMAIL
and tune them to a network environment.

Mark Giuffrida
University of Michigan (CAEN)
markg@caen.engin.umich.edu

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (05/16/89)

Mark,

Is it possible for other Apollo user's to get a copy of your
modified sendmail? My network has only 20 nodes (running SR9.7
and SR10.1), but we occasionally get in a situation where so many
nodes are trying to acess the /usr/spool/mqueue directory that
the directory itself becomes locked up -- which then causes the
sendmail daemons to go wild with repeated trys to access the
directory. The poor node on which the directory resides may
receive in excess of 700 network I/O's per second when this
happens!

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (05/17/89)

In article <4341a7bf1.0017b5e@caen.engin.umich.edu> markg@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Mark Giuffrida) writes:

> ... We modified SENDMAIL extensively to work in a distributed
> environment.  One of the changes is to accomodate Apollo's file
> locking.  If the mailbox cannot be opened for write, it simply leaves
> the message queued (it will not bounce) and tries again later. ...
> The sendmail Apollo ships is a straight port from BSD and it isn't
> specifically modified to handle the situations that arise in a
> distributed environment.

Hooray!  This locking problem has been a plague since we started using
Berkeley Mail and sendmail seriously a year ago.  We only handle
100-200 deliveries a day, but our users have to be trained to execute
'mailq' before executing or exiting Mail.  Ugly!

How can I get your modified version, Mark?  Is it specific to SR9.x or
SR10.x?                                                     --Dennis

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

markg@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Mark Giuffrida) (05/17/89)

	Is it possible for other Apollo user's to get a copy of your
	modified sendmail? My network has only 20 nodes (running SR9.7
	and SR10.1), but we occasionally get in a situation where so many
	nodes are trying to acess the /usr/spool/mqueue directory that
	the directory itself becomes locked up -- which then causes the
	sendmail daemons to go wild with repeated trys to access the
	directory. The poor node on which the directory resides may
	receive in excess of 700 network I/O's per second when this
	happens!

Our mail shark Paul Killey is willing to put together a ftpable release of our
sendmail in his spare time.  Since he is doing it in his spare time, it may take
a while to complete.  One of us will announce it when it is available.

Mark Giuffrida
University of Michigan
markg@caen.engin.umich.edu

dieter@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) (06/02/89)

I am trying to get mail to work on our little 3 node
Apollo network. We are running Domain/IX 9.7 4.2 BSD.
At this point, no machine can send mail to any other
machine. When I try to send mail to user@othernode using the
verbose option, it displays
      ... Connecting to .ether..
      user@othernode... Host unknown.

I am using /usr/ucb/mail.
Telnet,ftp and rlogin work fine between all the nodes.
Any help would be appreciated,
Dieter Rothmeier

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/02/89)

The sendmail.cf file is, as you said, formidable.
There are very few people who can understand the cryptic
format of the file. Most of us (myself included) use
an existing file we borrowed from someone else and then
modified for our particular site.

1) make certain that the file /usr/lib/sendmail.fc (".fc", not
   ".cf") has been deleted. This is the "frozen" mail configuration
   file. If it exists, the mailer will use it instead of the
   /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file.

2) edit the /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file and put in your site specific
   info at the top. I will send you a copy of my file in a seperate
   message. I borrowed this file from someone else, who got it from
   yet another person. The sendmail file I have looks in /etc/hosts
   for the host name and tries to send the message directly. If it
   can't find the hostname there, it relays the message to another
   machine (which *must* be in /etc/hosts) who has a more complete
   host table. The name of the forwarding machine is defined near
   the top of the file. There is also a seperate definition for a
   UUCP mail forwarding host, if you need one. The only problem I
   have found with this sendmail.cf file is that it does not
   recognize names of the form "host.subdomain.domain" even though
   they are in the /etc/hosts file and it forwards the message to
   the forwarding machine rather than sending it directly (eg. my
   /etc/hosts files contains both "richter" and "richter.mit.edu",
   but the sendmail.cf file I'm sending you will only recognize
   "richter" as a machine that it can send mail to directly. It
   will send mail for "richter.mit.edu" to the forwarding machine
   -- which fortunately, will send the mail to the correct host).

    I am looking for the fix to this problem. In the meantime, I
   hope this file will work for you.

3) You can create a new "frozen" configuration file by using the
   command /usr/lib/sendmail -bz to read the ".cf" file and create
   a new ".fc" file. The mailer is supposed to run faster using
   the ".fc" file, but you have to remember to re-freeze the
   configuration file after every time you edit the ".cf" file.

vskahan@lgnp1.LS.COM (Vince Skahan) (06/05/89)

In article <8906021616.AA02345@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>The sendmail.cf file is, as you said, formidable.
>There are very few people who can understand the cryptic
>format of the file. Most of us (myself included) use
>an existing file we borrowed from someone else and then
>modified for our particular site.

Same goes with us.  I took a look at the (in my opinion quite weak)
examples in arpaproto.cf and uucpproto.cf, put the two together and got
something that was relatively stupid for both UUCP and TCP.

sendmail.cf writing is a royal pain and is very, very tricky and is
something you cannot just pick up and do in 15 minutes unless you're
starting with a pretty close-to-the target version that you need to edit
slightly.

If you have an ultrix system, the sendmail.cf you get by default is
REALLY good in comparison to any default ones I've ever seen.  It's
pretty close to plug-and-play.

It has a real nice feature where you can define lots of gateways for
UUCP, and especially (for me) decnet where all mail to a particular fake
domain gets forwarded via TCP to the remote gateway host which sends it
along.

In other words, if you want to mail to a remote Decnet-only Vax from an
Apollo that talks only TCP, you mail to remotevax::user (like in VMS)
and it is rewritten into user%remotevax.dnet@decnetgatewayvax

When it gets to the "decnetgatewayvax", the mail gets sent to
remotevax::user like you really wanted to.

I run the ultrix one on all systems and have added the SR10 mailers for
DPSS<--->unix mail with no problems.  The only thing I can't make it do
is handle the case of mailing from DPSS to a *remote* unix mail site
(which I think is lack of a feature...it works just fine between *local*
DPSS and unix mail).
--
Vince Skahan - please reply to skahan@boeing.com or bcsaic!psev!bcs212

Note: any comments expressed above are mine and have no relation to
Boeing or the real nice folks who let me read news on their system...

steve@simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) (06/08/89)

In article <24432@shemp.cs.ucla.edu>, dieter@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) writes:

> I am trying to get mail to work on our little 3 node
> Apollo network. We are running Domain/IX 9.7 4.2 BSD.
> At this point, no machine can send mail to any other
> machine. When I try to send mail to user@othernode using the
> verbose option, it displays
>       ... Connecting to .ether..
>       user@othernode... Host unknown.
>
> I am using /usr/ucb/mail.
> Telnet,ftp and rlogin work fine between all the nodes.
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Dieter Rothmeier

It sounds like your not running sendmail as a daemon on any of the other
systems. You can check this by executing netstat -a on the other systems
and looking for *.smtp open on a port. If you don't see any then edit you
rc files to add /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h. (you may just need to uncomment
the specific line in /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local). First you might like to try
using ps ax to see if sendmail is running (I must be getting old, suggesting
looking at netstat's output before thinking of ps (:-))

It's also possible that your /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file needs tweeking. If you
plan on using both SMTP and UUCP to move mail you will need to change it from
the default provided by Apollo. (their used to be a uucpproto.cf file you
could use as a starting point.)

I hope this helps...

--
Steven E. Piette                              Applied Computer Technology Inc.
UUCP: {smarthost}!simon!steve                             1750 Riverwood Drive

weber_w@apollo.COM (Walt Weber) (06/08/89)

	krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes about sendmail.cf:
>   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The only problem I
>   have found with this sendmail.cf file is that it does not
>   recognize names of the form "host.subdomain.domain" even though
>   they are in the /etc/hosts file and it forwards the message to
>   the forwarding machine rather than sending it directly (eg. my
>   /etc/hosts files contains both "richter" and "richter.mit.edu",
>   but the sendmail.cf file I'm sending you will only recognize
>   "richter" as a machine that it can send mail to directly. It
>   will send mail for "richter.mit.edu" to the forwarding machine
>   -- which fortunately, will send the mail to the correct host).
>
>    I am looking for the fix to this problem. In the meantime, I
>   hope this file will work for you.

It may help you to know that under sr10, a number of different
sendmail config's were released in the "domain_examples" tree.
(Then again, it might NOT help you :-).  Please understand that these
are released AS IS, with no support available to answer questions on
"why was it done like this...".  These are unsupported -- but we did
want to make them available to you, since they came from the bsd tapes.

...walt...
--
Walt Weber                    Apollo Computer
(508) 256-6600 x8315          People's Republic of Massachusetts

steve@simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) (06/08/89)

In article <8906021616.AA02345@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
> 	(stuff deleted)
> 1) make certain that the file /usr/lib/sendmail.fc (".fc", not
>    ".cf") has been deleted. This is the "frozen" mail configuration
>    file. If it exists, the mailer will use it instead of the
>    /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file.
> 	(stuff deleted)
> 3) You can create a new "frozen" configuration file by using the
>    command /usr/lib/sendmail -bz to read the ".cf" file and create
>    a new ".fc" file. The mailer is supposed to run faster using
>    the ".fc" file, but you have to remember to re-freeze the
>    configuration file after every time you edit the ".cf" file.
>
>  -- David Krowitz
> krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)

David,

If this is still in reference to mail problems under SR9.7.x then frozen
configuration files were not supported. You can sendmail -bz to your heart's
content but nothing will happen. I don't remember if 10.0 cleaned this up.

Also if this is the correct thread (9.7 mail problems) the /etc/host file had
to be correct for rlogin and ftp to work by giving a host name (they lookup
the name in the host file to get a internet number, but you knew that).

Back when I used to work at Apollo, I hacked up a couple of functional sendmail
files for both mixed SMTP/UUCP and for SMAIL support. Unfortunatly I can't seem
to find them around here anymore. (anyone want to restore some old wbak tapes?)

Oh well back other hacking.

--

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (06/08/89)

In article <43b2954e.10b48@apollo.COM> weber_w@apollo.COM (Walt Weber) writes:
>It may help you to know that under sr10, a number of different
>sendmail config's were released in the "domain_examples" tree.
>(Then again, it might NOT help you :-).  Please understand that these
>are released AS IS, with no support available to answer questions on
>"why was it done like this...".  These are unsupported -- but we did
>want to make them available to you, since they came from the bsd tapes.

This wasn't very helpful to us.  Apollo was definitely true to its word
that they are unsupported :-) & :-(.  One would think that they would at
least provide one usable on the Internet.  The boilerplate version for
the Arpanet (remember that?) did not work as is.  I was able to get a
working version from a neighboring site (thanks again!).  I am very
grateful and didn't look further into it.  How anyone can figure this
stuff out even with the documentation is beyond me.

Yan.
      Yan K. Lau                    + the last message of a newgroup will be:
   )~                               +   a) longer than one screen &
 ~/~  lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu +   b) something you're not interested in.
 /\_                                + your decision, 'n' key or space bar?

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/09/89)

If the sendmail daemon is not running on the destination machine,
the message you get is the following (use "mail -v" to see this):

$ mail -v krowitz@hess
Subject: test
abc
*** EOF ***
Cc:
krowitz@hess... Connecting to hess.tcp...
krowitz@hess... Deferred: Connection refused by hess

If the destination machine is not up, or is not running the
tcp/ip daemon (/etc/tcpd), the message you get is:

$ mail -v krowitz@hess
123
*** EOF ***
Cc:
krowitz@hess... Connecting to hess.tcp...
krowitz@hess... Deferred: Connection timed out during user open with hess

In general, tcp/ip based software will give you a "timed out"
message if the node is down, the tcp server is dead, or if an
intervening gateway is not routing the messages correctly. The
the server for the particular program you are using is not running
on the destination machine, then you get a "connection refused"
message. If your host tables don't have the machine, or if the
program you are using has a configuration file which is not set
up correctly, then you will get the "host not found/known" message.
Note that if your /etc/hosts table contains an IP number which is
incorrect, then you will also get a "connection timed out" error
due to the fact that the TCP/IP packets will have been misrouted.

weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) (06/10/89)

In article <1570@lgnp1.LS.COM> vskahan@lgnp1.LS.COM (Vince Skahan) writes:

   In article <8906021616.AA02345@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
   >The sendmail.cf file is, as you said, formidable.
   >There are very few people who can understand the cryptic
   >format of the file. Most of us (myself included) use
   >an existing file we borrowed from someone else and then
   >modified for our particular site.

   Same goes with us.  I took a look at the (in my opinion quite weak)
   examples in arpaproto.cf and uucpproto.cf, put the two together and got
   something that was relatively stupid for both UUCP and TCP.

We have a similar need, for both SMTP and UUCP mail routing.  Apollo
says they do not provide anything that does both.  The DPSS to UNIX mail
translation rules are also overly simplistic.

Those wanting (needing) to play with the sendmail config files might
consider getting the 'ease' software that I believe comes from Emory
University and should be in the comp.sources.unix archives.  It lets you
write sendmail config files in a much more structured and readable
syntax; ease translates this into a sendmail.cf file.

--
Bob Weiner, Motorola, Inc.,   USENET:  ...!gatech!uflorida!novavax!weiner
(407) 738-2087