[comp.sys.apollo] Bug in SR10.1 sendmail.

scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) (06/05/89)

Re:		Bug in sr10.1 sendmail.

PROBLEM:	Running "/usr/lib/sendmail -bt"
		on my SR10.1 system produces a segmentation error.

The story from Apollo is that they know there is a problem, and they are
looking into it. I haven't been able to send any messages since installing
SR10.1. (I'm sending this from a Sun). Does anyone out there know of a fix
or workaround for this?
--
ACSnet: scott@csis.oz           Scott MILTON    (ph  +61-62-750923)
email:  scott@csis.oz.au                        (fax +61-62-571052)

freedman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Dan Freedman) (06/08/89)

In article <215@csis.oz> scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:

>PROBLEM:	Running "/usr/lib/sendmail -bt"
>		on my SR10.1 system produces a segmentation error.

Hmm, on our system, /usr/lib/sendmail -bt seems to work ok.  The date
on the program is Oct 21, 1988, and the program is 114057 bytes
long according to an ls -l.  We are running SR 10.1 (BSD) on 4500s.

Dan Freedman
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      freedman@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!freedman

pcc@apollo.COM (Peter Craine) (06/09/89)

    PROBLEM:	Running "/usr/lib/sendmail -bt"
    		on my SR10.1 system produces a segmentation error.

Have you run newaliases?  If you do a "tb" you will probably find
that sendmail is looking at the aliases.pag and aliases.dir files
(rdb versions of aliases;  these are created when you run newaliases)
Those files probably exist and are empty or contain garbage.
Running newaliases has fixed every sendmail segmentation fault I have
ever seen.  (how's that for a grandiose statement?)

                Peter Craine, NACS (soon to be a NARC)

Disclaimers?  We don't need no stinkin' disclaimers.

weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) (06/10/89)

In article <215@csis.oz> scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:

   PROBLEM:	Running "/usr/lib/sendmail -bt"
		   on my SR10.1 system produces a segmentation error.

   The story from Apollo is that they know there is a problem, and they are
   looking into it. I haven't been able to send any messages since installing
   SR10.1. (I'm sending this from a Sun). Does anyone out there know of a fix
   or workaround for this?

You have to run the program 'newaliases' on each node before sendmail
will work properly under SR10.1.  We had the same problem and that
solved all segmentation errors; this was back in January.  It's a shame
users remain uninformed by Apollo.

--
Bob Weiner, Motorola, Inc.,   USENET:  ...!gatech!uflorida!novavax!weiner
(407) 738-2087

jnp@mjolner.tele.nokia.fi (J|rgen N|rgaard) (06/12/89)

In article <1341@novavax.UUCP> weiner@novavax.UUCP (Bob Weiner) writes:

   In article <215@csis.oz> scott@csis.oz (Scott Milton) writes:

      PROBLEM:	Running "/usr/lib/sendmail -bt"
		      on my SR10.1 system produces a segmentation error.

      [ etc ]
   You have to run the program 'newaliases' on each node before sendmail
   will work properly under SR10.1.  We had the same problem and that
   solved all segmentation errors; this was back in January.  It's a shame
   users remain uninformed by Apollo.

I agree on the last point!

			Regards J|rgen N|rgaard ('|' is '\o{}' in \LaTeX{})
				e-mail: jnp@tele.nokia.fi
				telephone: <..>-358-0-511-5671

thompson%animal.decnet@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("ANIMAL::THOMPSON") (06/13/89)

Date: 12 Jun 89 15:51:24 CST
From: "SMTP MAILER" <postmaster@cim-vax.honeywell.com>
Subject: Mail Delivery Problem
To: "thompson" <thompson%animal.decnet@cim-vax.honeywell.com>

 ----Reason for mail failure follows----
Sending mail to host umich.cc.umix.edu :
  Unrecognized host name or address.