[comp.sys.apollo] vt100 under sr10

FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM (06/13/89)

Forgive me for not having paid attention months ago when everyone
else solved this one:

Using vt100 under sr10, CNTRL-Z terminates the graphics mode in the
window, and it acts like it's about to return the prompt. However,
the process goes into oblivion, and I have to blast it to get rid of
it.

Is there a patch, or maybe I've got something configured wrong? I'm
mainly still at sr9.7, so I haven't practiced much with sr10.
Thanks,
Scott Ferguson
ferguson@erevax.bitnet
Exxon Research & Engineering

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (06/14/89)

I have vt100 working under sr10.1 with no problem.  However, why is it
that you cant scroll up/down a vt100 window the way you can any other
window.  Makes life with kermit very frustrating.  Or is this a feature.
(I guess you cant scroll a real vt100 either  %-(
--
 ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp
    (Pacific-Sierra Research/Berkeley, CA.)

gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) (06/14/89)

From article <8906122022.AA18993@umix.cc.umich.edu>, by FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM:

> Forgive me for not having paid attention months ago when everyone
> else solved this one:
>
> Using vt100 under sr10, CNTRL-Z terminates the graphics mode in the
> window, and it acts like it's about to return the prompt. However,
> the process goes into oblivion, and I have to blast it to get rid of
> it.
>
> Is there a patch, or maybe I've got something configured wrong? I'm
> mainly still at sr9.7, so I haven't practiced much with sr10.
> Thanks,
> Scott Ferguson
> ferguson@erevax.bitnet
> Exxon Research & Engineering

I believe that ^d is now the "terminator" for vt100. ^z will suspend
it if you ran it in a shell with job-control (like csh). I also believe
that this is the case regardless of what your DM keydefs are. This
would be consistent with the behavior you describe, i.e. a suspended
process cannot be stopped (easily :-) ).

Ok, I just tried it. If run in a sys5 Bourne shell or a bsd4.3 c-shell
^z does nothing and ^d terminates the vt100 process. In a com-shell
it behaves exactly like you say. Given that habits are sometimes hard
to break :-), if you accidentally do it again here's a more graceful
recovery,
	1) do a pst and then
	2) 'sigp -u <uid-of-vt100> -c 12002b'
(12002b is the code for fault_$continue_proc from fault.ins.*)
In general, don't blast process unless you have to (I would have felt
that I had to in this case too) and I always reboot the machine asap
just in case.

--
Gary Zaidenweber
Apollo Computer Division of Hewlett Packard Company

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (06/14/89)

In article <43d38fb1.ce45@apollo.COM> gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) writes:
>	1) do a pst and then
>	2) 'sigp -u <uid-of-vt100> -c 12002b'

Ugh.  Do a "ps ax" and a "kill -CONT".  :-)
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###

weber_w@apollo.COM (Walt Weber) (06/16/89)

In article <12184@well.UUCP> rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) writes:
>I have vt100 working under sr10.1 with no problem.  However, why is it
>that you cant scroll up/down a vt100 window the way you can any other
>window.

Display manager pads (transcript pads, view pads, etc.) are actually a
'view' into a disk object, and hence can be repositioned.  They are not
repositioned by embedded escape sequences written out, but by operations
which are similar to lseek/fseek/ios_$seek.  The vt100, on the other hand,
is a graphic buffer which DOES respond to escape sequences in the output,
but then does not respond to the repositioning.

>(I guess you cant scroll a real vt100 either

I did it once, when reaching for a large manual.  Damn thing scrolled right
off the table!  :-)

> ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp

...walt...
--
Walt Weber                    Apollo Computer
(508) 256-6600 x8315          People's Republic of Massachusetts