[comp.sys.apollo] vt100, emt carriage return/linefeed problems

FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM (06/13/89)

I want to use vt100 and emt to log into a vax, and other machines. When
I do, I can't for the life of me get linefeeds converted into CRLF's.
Here's how I thought it should work:

$ vt100
(in vt100 window...)
$ vctl -cvt_in_nl
$ emt
emt> raw
emt> asc
emt> tctl -cvtraw_nl
emt> f1
Emt remote mode... F1 to exit

(on the vax...)
$ mail
      MAIL> <return>
           MAIL> <etc, etc, etc...>

I've tried every combination of vctl and tctl conversions, and I tried
changing the OUTTERM termination character (which doen't matter, because
I need to conver the input LF to a CRLF, not the output).

It seems to me the none of the -cvt_in_nl and -cvtraw_nl commands have
any effect whatsoever. This is at sr9.7.0.4

Anyone? Thanks a million.
Scott Ferguson
ferguson@erevax.bitnet
Exxon Research & Engineering

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (06/14/89)

In article <8906131338.AA03287@umix.cc.umich.edu>, FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:

> I want to use vt100 and emt to log into a vax, and other machines. When
> I do, I can't for the life of me get linefeeds converted into CRLF's.
> Anyone? Thanks a million.
> Scott Ferguson
> ferguson@erevax.bitnet
> Exxon Research & Engineering

Scott, I use a file containing the following emt commands:
break 400
interm vax
tctl -noecho
asc
raw
f1

This lets me get into systems with the command 'emt vax'.

I also maintain an open window to a Vax, and get to
it via my alias:

alias vax 'date;set term=vt132;stty erase ^H;/bin/time vt100 telnet mutx01;date'

   where mutx01 is an Ultrix node hanging between Mt. Olympus (the
   Apollo network) and the VAX running VMS

Both methods work for me, but I'm sure you'll have to experiment.

Hope this helps a bit.
--
___________________

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069
-------------------

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (06/15/89)

In article <8906131338.AA03287@umix.cc.umich.edu> FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:

>I want to use vt100 and emt to log into a vax, and other machines. When
>I do, I can't for the life of me get linefeeds converted into CRLF's.

I had the same problem, but it went away on sr10.1, if thats any
help.       I also had problems logging into a vax from 9.7 vt100
and doing a  dir   or anything that generated a long list on the
console... the apollo would lose data, not responding in time to the
XOFF and overrunning the buffer.   All this seems to have cleared up
when I upgraded to 10.1.   WHo knows what really is going on?

--
 ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp
    (Pacific-Sierra Research/Berkeley, CA.)

bauer@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Jeff Bauer) (06/15/89)

In article <8906131338.AA03287@umix.cc.umich.edu> FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:

>I want to use vt100 and emt to log into a vax, and other machines. When
>I do, I can't for the life of me get linefeeds converted into CRLF's.

This was posted here years ago.  Works for me:

# change SIO line numbers here
line 1
# change speed and other line parameters here
tctl -speed 9600 -sync -insync -cvtraw_nl
# VAX/VMS seems to need the following two commands:
interm lf
outterm cr
# set RAW mode and ASCII_ONLY on the next two lines:
raw
asconly
emtesc ~
--
Jeff Bauer					bauer@loligo.cc.fsu.edu
Control Data Corporation			(904) 644-2591 ext. 113

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (06/16/89)

Refering to article <12196@well.UUCP>
>In article <8906131338.AA03287@umix.cc.umich.edu> FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:
>>
>>I want to use vt100 and emt to log into a vax, and other machines. When
>>I do, I can't for the life of me get linefeeds converted into CRLF's.
>
>I had the same problem, but it went away on sr10.1, if thats any
>help.       I also had problems logging into a vax from 9.7 vt100
>and doing a  dir   or anything that generated a long list on the
>console... the apollo would lose data, not responding in time to the
>XOFF and overrunning the buffer.   All this seems to have cleared up
>when I upgraded to 10.1.   WHo knows what really is going on?

At sr9.x, when using EMT with VT100 to use screen editors on
a remote host, invoke Vt100 first, then invoke EMT within Vt100,
and use EMT options:

    raw
    tctl noecho
    interm lf

The "magic" one is the "interm lf". It prevents emt from eating up the "CR"s
and turning them into "NL" characters. Vt100 needs to see the raw "CR"s to
do its thing correctly.

The problem with the emt input buffer overflowing seems to be some kind
of timing related problem with the Apollo serial line input handler.
Even with Xon/Xoff flow control enabled, if data comes in at 9600 or faster,
in continuous chunks larger than 256 characters, the input buffer overflows.
If you set the speed to 4800 baud, there is no overflow problem. The strange
thing is that the serial line handler that came with the SPE board seems to
do a better job. It will do Xon/Xoff flow control at 9600 baud with no
overflow problems, it will choke at 19200 though. This is the case at sr9.7,
I've not checked it out at sr10.1.

Dave Funk