[comp.sys.apollo] Screen Terminal Manager

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (06/25/89)

I have recently come across a PD product known as Screen
that some of you may be familiar with.  Screen is a window
manager for remote terminals that lets users have multiple
sessions from a vt100 through the use of pseudo terminals.
With a simple control command you can flip back and forth
between several full-screen windows.  Specifically Screen
provides:

1.) Complete ANSI VT100 emulation.  Kiss all those TERM
    and stty problems with remote sessions good-bye.

2.) Multiple full-screen windows

3.) The ^s problem with a VT100 using GnuEmacs is solved.

These are all probelms I have had to deal with.  We are running
Screen 1.0, and it compiled with very little work.  Screen 2.0
provides some NFS support, and it gave me some problems at
run time (but I didn't really try that hard).  The program
was written by Oliver Laumann with modifications by Peter Wolfe
at Kuch & Assoc.  I highly recommend it.  You can download
the source from netlib@mcs.anl.gov.  I will try to help anyone
interested.

Andrew Wescott
University of Houston
Department of Chemical Engineering

kts@quintro.UUCP (Kenneth T. Smelcer) (06/25/89)

In article <8906242219.AA08246@lnic1.hprc.uh.edu> wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) writes:

>I have recently come across a PD product known as Screen
>that some of you may be familiar with.  Screen is a window
>manager for remote terminals that lets users have multiple
>sessions from a vt100 through the use of pseudo terminals.
>With a simple control command you can flip back and forth
>between several full-screen windows.  Specifically Screen
>provides:

Screen is a great program.  I've been running screen 2.0 for a couple
months and haven't had any problems at all.  Screen 1.0 and 2.0 are
very similar, the only useful difference I've noticed is at 2.0 you
can "detach" a session from the terminal, logout, come back later
and "re-attach" the session.

One warning:  you MUST be running 10.1 to use screen.  Screen uses
TCP/IP pseudo-ttys for each window and the pre-10.1 TCP/IP release
has problems doing some types of i/o with ptys.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ken Smelcer        Quintron Corp.           quintro!kts@lll-winken

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (06/26/89)

Does anyone have a ported version for HP9000 800-series running HP-UX
3.0 or 3.1 of Oliver Laumann's Screen Terminal Manager?

- Kim -

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (06/26/89)

My previous posting seemed to have a funny reply-to:-header.  Please,
use the address on the From:-line.  I'll correct this problem as soon as
I can locate it.  I'm sorry about any bounced messages anyone will get.

- Kim -

sscott@camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) (06/27/89)

In article <475@kannel.lut.fi> kim@kannel.UUCP (Kimmo Suominen) writes:
>Does anyone have a ported version for HP9000 800-series running HP-UX
>3.0 or 3.1 of Oliver Laumann's Screen Terminal Manager?

How about for the HP9000 300-series HP/UX also?

--
Steve Scott            UUCP: {killer|texbell}!camdev!sscott
Motorola, Inc.         Telephone : 1-817-232-6317