[comp.sys.apollo] '\' in pathnames

FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM (06/28/89)

You know, I really liked being able to say this:

$ wd one.dir/two.link\

and being able to say:

$ wd \

I used the '\' all the time. Now, because of some strong desire to be
just like everyone else, this functionality seems to be gone. Sure,
'../' kind of does the same thing, but I always thought it was faster
to type one character than three.

Obviously, since UNIX is just the greatest thing since Thomas Edison,
we can't have our favorite little Aegis quirks.

I didn't want to whine on the newsgroup, but after trying to get used
to the new naming system for a few months, I just haven't been able to
convince myself that it's ok.

EOW (End of Whining)

Scott Ferguson
ferguson@erevax.bitnet
Exxon Research & Engineering

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (06/29/89)

In article <8906281243.AA02709@umix.cc.umich.edu>, FERGUSON@TMASL.EXXON.COM writes:
> I used the '\' all the time. Now, because of some strong desire to be
> just like everyone else, this functionality seems to be gone. Sure,
> '../' kind of does the same thing, but I always thought it was faster
> to type one character than three.
>
> Obviously, since UNIX is just the greatest thing since Thomas Edison,
> we can't have our favorite little Aegis quirks.
>
> I didn't want to whine on the newsgroup, but after trying to get used
> to the new naming system for a few months, I just haven't been able to
> convince myself that it's ok.

I agree, Scott, that some of the things an Apollo workstation brings
to a user are better than "standard stuff".  For example, I snicker
at the "I don't have time to learn the DM editor" comments;
it's so darn intuitive that I wonder what could be easier than
hitting the LINE DEL key to delete the line, typing characters
in input mode where you place the cursor, or overstriking by hitting
SHIFT-INS and having a visual marker of the input mode?

Or, have you ever seen someone introduced to an Apollo by someone
who knows only vi read a file?  He vi's it.  I love the look
on that users face when I point to the file name on a pad and open
it.

I know ex, ed, and vi, but *STILL* use DM whenever possible.  A throwback,
eh? :=)
--

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069