[comp.sys.apollo] Long ogin time for root

abair@turbinia.oakhill.uucp (Alan Bair) (06/28/89)

We have a DN10K that has the same problem of slow logins the
first time after a boot.  It happened with 10.0 and after an
upgrade to 10.1 it still does it.

I asked our local rep and he hadn't noticed it on any of their
machines.  He suggested I call the service line, which i have not
done yet.

Alan Bair
UUCP cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!turbinia!abair

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (06/28/89)

Don't bother...

I have seen the same slow root login after reboot on :

1.) DN10ks running SR 10.0.p

2.) DN10ks running SR 10.1.p

3.) DN3500s running SR 10.1 .

The people at 1-800 will just think you're imagining things !

Andrew Wescott
University of Houston

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/28/89)

Well, You're not imaging anything! I have my master registry
on a DN560-3MB (!) due to political considerations (ie. which
node could be spared for SR10 conversion duty without causing
angry cries of anguish from my users). After a reboot, the
first attempt to login gets a message about "can use system
registries, using local instead" (that's "can't", not "can").

While I'm at it. Has anyone else noticed that the SR10.1 /com/vt100
terminal emulator has a propensity for transposing characters and/or
double echoing characters when used with telnet?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

rick@bnrunix.UUCP (Richard Johns X7191) (06/29/89)

In article <ABAIR.89Jun27182923@turbinia.oakhill.uucp>, abair@turbinia.oakhill.uucp (Alan Bair) writes:
> We have a DN10K that has the same problem of slow logins the
> first time after a boot.  It happened with 10.0 and after an
> upgrade to 10.1 it still does it.

The summary says it.  It's a minute or two before you can really do anything
after logging on.  I never noticed it at 9.7.

Rick Johns
rick@bnrunix.UUCP
rjohns@bnr.ca