[comp.sys.apollo] vt100 -- alternatives?

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (06/24/89)

[]

I am having problems with the vt100 emulator supplied by Apollo.
It came without sources (why?!) so I cannot fix it.  Is there an
alternative program, PD perhaps?  All I really need is a way to
control the TEXT in a window: cursor addressing, erase to EOL,
erase to EOS -- via escape sequences of chars output to the window.
(I would also need a way to invoke the alternative instead of the
Apollo vt100 automatically when a program (e.g., vi) uses TERMCAP.)

The Apollo "vt100" thingy insists on changing the font to its own
choosing, and hangs mysteriously at times during a "vt100 rlogin".

- Moshe Braner

Cornell Theory Center, 265 Olin Hall,
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853	USA
(607) 255-9401
<braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu>		(INTERNET)
<braner@crnlthry>			(BITNET)

PS: here is a little program that, when run on a remote machine
accessed via "vt100 rlogin" from my Apollo 3500 (1280_bw), causes
the window to hang after it exits:

#include	<stdio.h>
#include	<sgtty.h>

struct  sgttyb  ostate;
struct	sgttyb	nstate;

ttopen()
{
	ioctl(1,TIOCFLUSH,0);
	sleep(1);
	gtty(1, &ostate);
	gtty(1, &nstate);
	nstate.sg_flags |= RAW;
	nstate.sg_flags &= ~(ECHO|CRMOD);
	stty(1, &nstate);
}

ttclose()
{
	fflush(stdout);
	sleep(1);
	stty(1, &ostate);
}

main ()
{
	int c;

	ttopen();
	fputs ("hit any key: ", stdout);
	c = fgetc(stdin);
	fputc (0x1B, stdout);		/* movecursor (24, 1) */
	fputs ("[24;1H", stdout);
	fputc ('\n', stdout);		/* scroll */
	ttclose();
	exit(0);
}

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (07/04/89)

In article <8254@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:
>[]
>
>I am having problems with the vt100 emulator supplied by Apollo.
>It came without sources (why?!) so I cannot fix it.  Is there an

Did you get sources for anything else?

>alternative program, PD perhaps?  All I really need is a way to
>control the TEXT in a window: cursor addressing, erase to EOL,
>erase to EOS -- via escape sequences of chars output to the window.

What kind of problems are you having?  Have you reported them?

>(I would also need a way to invoke the alternative instead of the
>Apollo vt100 automatically when a program (e.g., vi) uses TERMCAP.)

You *might* be able to do that by replacing the vt100 program
with it, I have no idea whether it would work though.

>The Apollo "vt100" thingy insists on changing the font to its own

One would expect the vt100 emulator to switch to a vt100 font :-).
In any case, look in /sys/dm/fonts and you can replace the vt100
fonts with ones of your own choosing.

>choosing, and hangs mysteriously at times during a "vt100 rlogin".

Can you post (and/or submit an APR) with more details?

								-kee

--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###

GBOPOLY1@NUSVM.BITNET (fclim) (07/05/89)

In article <44343c35.1b147@apollo.COM>, nazgul%apollo.uucp@eddie.mit.
 edu (Kee Hinckley)

> In article <8254@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.
>   cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:
> > The Apollo "vt100" thingy insists on changing the font to its own
>
> One would expect the vt100 emulator to switch to a vt100 font :-).
> In any case, look in /sys/dm/fonts and you can replace the vt100
> fonts with ones of your own choosing.

I don't think anyone can just simply
     cpf <new-font> /sys/dm/fonts/vt100xxx -r
(I don't know which font vt100 uses; so I put in the xxx).
The reason is that there are some vt100-ism in the fonts.  The important
ones are those fonts for the control chars (ASCII 1 to hex 1f).  These
chars may be missing from <new-font>.

Use edfont to grab those control chars from the vt100 fonts and the rest
from your favorite font.

fclim          --- gbopoly1 % nusvm.bitnet @ cunyvm.cuny.edu
computer centre
singapore polytechnic