[comp.sys.apollo] SR10 Installation

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (07/06/89)

Our [new] sys_admin has been saying that it is impossible to install
SR10 (with Mentor SW)

We have:
	a bunch of DN3000's with NO tapes,
	a DSP90 with attached
		300 Meg drive
		Danford cartridge tape
		9 track tape

Is it true that we cannot load SR10 with this configuration?
Has anyone out there done it?

--
Danny Wilson
IDACOM Electronics		danny@idacom.uucp

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/07/89)

Unless you can boot a system from the Danford cartridge tape,
I'd say he is correct. You need at least one machine which has
a floppy or cartridge tape that you can boot from in order to
do the initial SR10 installation. However ... I have heard tell
of Apollo field service personel who have a complete DN3500 in
a suitcase (disk drive and all) -- they simply bring it into you
computer room, hook it to your network, and they have a complete
system which is known to working correctly and that has a clean
copy of the OS (in case all of yours got trashed). If this is
true, they good bring a working SR10 machine into your site and
load up one of your disks over the network.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

jhma@ukc.ac.uk (James Aldridge) (07/07/89)

In article <701@idacom.UUCP> danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) writes:
>Our [new] sys_admin has been saying that it is impossible to install
>SR10 (with Mentor SW)
>
>We have:
>	a bunch of DN3000's with NO tapes,
>	a DSP90 with attached
>		300 Meg drive
>		Danford cartridge tape
>		9 track tape

The problem as I understand it is as follows:
	SR10 requires the disk to be INVOLed which means booting diskless off
removable media.
	Apollos will only boot of floppy or cartridge (DNxxxx only) and not
off 1/2 inch Mag tape.

>Is it true that we cannot load SR10 with this configuration?
>Has anyone out there done it?
In this country, Mentor are offering to come on site with an SR10 node and do
the initial installation from that.  Once ONE node in the network is at SR10,
the others can be booted across the network from that node.  Subsequent
installations can then be done from mag tape or cartridge from your DSP.

>--
>Danny Wilson

James Aldridge

--
James Aldridge, Solid State Logic,| Any opinions expressed in the above
Begbroke, Oxford, OX5 1RU.        | article are not necessarily those of