[comp.sys.apollo] Problems with remote logins.

kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) (07/21/89)

I am having a weird problem with remote machines logging into my Apollo DN3500
running BSD4.3.  If the remote machine is using anything else but HoneyDanBer
uucp to login, they will not get past the "Password:" prompt.  The problem
seems to be that after the remote machine sees "login:" prompt they send their
account name, next they see "Password:" and then they send their password but
nothing happens.  And if I look at the output from "ps -ax" command I see that
getty has passed execution to "login -p username" but it is not getting any
CPU time.  It seems as though the "login" program is not seeing the password
being sent by the remote machine.  The weird part is that if the user at the
remote host uses tip (or some kind of communication program) and does the
login sequence by hand, it all seems to work.  Now I have noticed that if I
try in login to this Apollo by hand and am talking to it at 7 data bits and no
parity, I will get the same results, but the remote machine that is trying to
call us swears that his is using 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit.

Has anybody else seen this problem???  And more importantly, does anybody have
a solution??

Thank you for any help,

Keith

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
Apollo Computer                            wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC
A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard
USMAIL:                          EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                   cantrell@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US
Carrollton TX 75007                         or
                                 ...!uunet!digi!kcantrel

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (07/21/89)

In article <187@digi.UUCP> kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) writes:
>I am having a weird problem with remote machines logging into my Apollo DN3500
>running BSD4.3.  If the remote machine is using anything else but HoneyDanBer
>uucp to login, they will not get past the "Password:" prompt.  The problem
>seems to be that after the remote machine sees "login:" prompt they send their
>account name, next they see "Password:" and then they send their password but
>nothing happens.  And if I look at the output from "ps -ax" command I see that
>getty has passed execution to "login -p username" but it is not getting any
>CPU time.  It seems as though the "login" program is not seeing the password
>being sent by the remote machine.  The weird part is that if the user at the
>remote host uses tip (or some kind of communication program) and does the
>login sequence by hand, it all seems to work.  Now I have noticed that if I
>try in login to this Apollo by hand and am talking to it at 7 data bits and no
>parity, I will get the same results, but the remote machine that is trying to
>call us swears that his is using 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit.
>
>Has anybody else seen this problem???  And more importantly, does anybody have
>a solution??

I have encountered this problem calling into SYS5 type systems from
an Ultrix system.  There were really two problems.  The first was the
parity which was easily fixed by the following sequence before expecting
the login: prompt -

            "" P_ZERO "" \d\d

The second problem involved the called system apparently not seeing the
password even though my system saw and responded to both the 'login'
and 'password' prompts.  I'm not sure exactly where the password got
lost but the system I was calling never seemed to see it even though I
sent it.  I could get past it by 'echo password > /dev/ttyd2' and I
would get the login prompt again. I could then use the 'echo' command
and send the login and password manually and the connection would start
up normally.  It appeared that the receiving system was not seeing all
of the password since it would give me a bad login message and start
over again.

The solution that fixed this problem was to put a couple of delays
after sending the response to the login prompt as follows:

ogin:-\r-ogin:-\r-ogin: response\d\d ssword:--ssword:--ssword: xxxxx

This seemed to correct the problem.  If anybody knows why this works
I would be very interested in hearing about it.
--
David White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3778

lcz@dptudg.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (07/22/89)

kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) writes:

>I am having a weird problem with remote machines logging into my Apollo DN3500
>running BSD4.3...
>                                      ...the remote machine that is trying to
>call us swears that his is using 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit.

I have had this problem several times when calling *out* from my 4.3 system,
and it was a parity problem every time.  I solved the problem by "sending"
a P_ZERO from my L.sys entry for those systems to force the 8th bit to zero.

If the remote system administration swears that they are using the correct
parity, etc., then that may not be the problem.  However, I would double-
check; that's what it sound like to me!

-Lee

levin@magnus.SR.COM (Michael M Levin) (07/24/89)

In article <187@digi.UUCP> kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) writes:
>I am having a weird problem with remote machines logging into my Apollo DN3500
>running BSD4.3.  If the remote machine is using anything else but HoneyDanBer
>uucp to login, they will not get past the "Password:" prompt.  The problem

Both the problem and the solution to it are NOT unique to Apollo, although
it does appear to be related to non-HDB systems calling into a BSD environment,
but none of that matters.  If you simply have the calling party add a \n to
the end of the password in their L.sys file, that will fix the problem.  It
would appear that without it being there, it doesn't do a NEWLINE at all, and
therefore just hangs.  In other words, if the chat script is doing something
like:

..... in:--in: foo word: bar

just  change it to be

..... in:--in: foo word: bar\n

	And ALL WILL START WORKING miraculously.  Or else I'm wrong.  Please
drop me a note via email and let me know if it cures the problem for you, or
if I'm off-base.

					Good Luck,

					Mike Levin
--