[comp.sys.apollo] Stand-Alone Nodes! Please Identify Yrselves!!

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (07/28/89)

I am trying to put together an unofficial and highly unscientific
profile of the problems that those of use who have to manage
stand-alone Apollo nodes.  The information gathered here will be
sent on to Apollo in the hopes that the system installation and
management features of DOMAIN 10.x will be improved in regards to
the particular problems of stand-alone nodes.

Let me define a stand-alone node as an Apollo system that is not
connected to any other apollo, except perhaps a diskless node.
Typically it will have its own, unshared disk.  The only communication
links might be via dialup lines, etc.  But there is no network
connected, and no network is even close enought to be connected
termporarily.

You may have seen my recent apr on the problems of installing Domain
on my stand alone DN3000.  Please comment on this and any problems
you might be having that I did not consider.  Please constrain your
comments to those problems that are particular to the stand-alone
configuration (i.e. there is no other disk to download from).

I will summarize these comments and issue the result in a few weeks.
Please e-mail to the address shown in the header, or to
          rchrd@well.com
Feel free to call me if necessary at 415 540 5216 (Pacific time zone).

This activity is being done in a friendly manner to gather information
about how their products are received by those of us in the trenches.

--
 ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp
    (Pacific-Sierra Research/Berkeley, CA.)

In article <12879@well.UUCP> rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) writes:
>I am trying to put together an unofficial and highly unscientific
>profile of the problems that those of use who have to manage
>stand-alone Apollo nodes.
>Please e-mail to the address shown in the header, or to
>          rchrd@well.com

  ==> Perhaps a more correct e-mail address would be:
      rchrd@well.sf.ca.us
          or even
      rchrd@well.uucp

--
 ...Richard Friedman           rchrd@well.uucp
    (Pacific-Sierra Research/Berkeley, CA.)
     also: {lll-crg,pacbell,hplabs}!well!rchrd

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (08/01/89)

I share many of your concerns andcomments regarding setting up SR10 on
the first node but personally, I didn't have too many problems that
weren't mentioned in the customer service bulletin that went out to
everyone concerning RAI except for the fact that the "ok to delete the
os to save space ?" message very nearly nailed me (good thing I
chickened out rather than answering YES).

Compared to SR9, I though under 4 hours to invol, install, and configure
everything was pretty great.

We had the same problems you seem to have had relating to "which daemons
do we run".  It wound up we ran all the SR9 stuff plus the rgyd, glbd,
and llbd...

--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           ARPA:  skahan@boeing.com