[comp.sys.apollo] question about path setup under sr10.1/bsd4.3

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (08/03/89)

How does one change the default path of users when they log
into a node or create a shell under SR10.1/BSD4.3?
We have both Aegis and Unix running.  Some users use the
C shell or Bourne shell and others use the Aegis shell.
I want to be able to add to the default path.  Apollo has
added /usr/apollo/bin in the path.  I want the csh or
sh users to be able to find commands in the /com directory
and the Aegis users to get to the ftp and telnet commands.
There may be other directories which should be in the path.
Instead of individually changing the user startup scripts,
is there a way to set these things for all users?

Yan.
---
      Yan K. Lau                    + the last message of a newgroup will be:
   )~                               +   a) longer than one screen &
 ~/~  lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu +   b) something you're not interested in.
 /\   University of Pennsylvania    + your decision, 'n' key or space bar?

nazgul@apollo.HP.COM (Kee Hinckley) (08/04/89)

In article <13400@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
>How does one change the default path of users when they log
>into a node or create a shell under SR10.1/BSD4.3?
>We have both Aegis and Unix running.  Some users use the
>C shell or Bourne shell and others use the Aegis shell.

In the Bourne and Korn shells you can do it by changing
/etc/profile and /etc/profile.ksh.  Neither the C shell or
the Com shell have means of doing this, however with the
Com shell you could try (I don't guarantee this though
since at login the shell might ignore it) setting the
environment variable "CSR" in the DM login scripts.
Otherwise the best way is to simply install a
default .login or $HOME/user_data/sh/login script for
every user.

					-kee
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###