[comp.sys.apollo] DOMAIN_OS 10.1 accounting problem

ins_bxl@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Xuyong Liu) (08/11/89)

We have a DN4000 running BSD4.3 under DOMAIN_OS 10.1. For some unknown
reason, whenever the accounting is turned on (by "/etc/accton
/usr/adm/acct"), the system is badly slowed down -- from time to time, one
has to wait for ten seconds before getting the prompt back. Normally, there
are only two or three users on the system and no one is really taking too
much CPU time. And the size of /usr/adm/acct does not increase very rapidly.
Any one out there knows the reason for this problem and the way to fix it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

________

liu@alpha.ece.jhu.edu
ins_bxl@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (08/13/89)

In article <2262@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> liu@alpha.ece.jhu.edu writes:

>We have a DN4000 running BSD4.3 under DOMAIN_OS 10.1. For some unknown
>reason, whenever the accounting is turned on (by "/etc/accton
>/usr/adm/acct"), the system is badly slowed down -- from time to time, one
>has to wait for ten seconds before getting the prompt back. Normally, there
>are only two or three users on the system and no one is really taking too
>much CPU time. And the size of /usr/adm/acct does not increase very rapidly.
>Any one out there knows the reason for this problem and the way to fix it?

Is this a stand alone node? If so try turning network
services off (via the netsvc command). We noticed a similar
problem. It appeared that the node was trying to query a
non-existant network and the node was slowing down waiting
for the request to time out. Disabling network services
restored the node to normal.

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453
kerr%tron.UUCP@umbc3.UMBC.EDU             from an Internet site