[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo - Sun TAR transfers

martin@essex.ac.uk (Colley M) (06/16/89)

We had a similar problem here of wanting to transfer large files from our
apollos to suns.  Our apollo people said it could be done but we had to
change one of the cartridge tape attributes.  They suggested the aegis
command:

	edmtdesc /dev/rct8 -s reo no

Which changes the attribute "reo" to "no" (dont forget to set it back to
"yes" as rbak/wbak wont work properly).  Then use tar as normal.  This
worked for us under aegis (Domain/IX) 9.5/9.7.  I haven't tried it at 10.1
yet.

Hope this is helpful.

Martin Colley

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (07/22/89)

In article <1130@servax0.essex.ac.uk> martin@essex.ac.uk (Colley M) writes:
>............  They suggested the aegis
>command:
>
>	edmtdesc /dev/rct8 -s reo no
>
>Which changes the attribute "reo" to "no" (dont forget to set it back to
>"yes" as rbak/wbak wont work properly).  Then use tar as normal.  This
>worked for us under aegis (Domain/IX) 9.5/9.7.  I haven't tried it at 10.1
>yet.
>
>Hope this is helpful.
>
>Martin Colley

This story of wbak/rbak not working properly if you change /dev/rct8 is just
plain wrong.
W/Rbak use /lib/tfp to access the tape/cartridge. /dev/rct? is just an additional
layer on top of, I guess, /lib/tfp to make it possible to access the device the
"Unix way", i.e. as a file.
Wbak, rbak, rwmt do not use the /dev files in any way, that is the reason why
they are much faster than any user-written program that accesses the devices
via /dev/rct?.

On a, more or less, related argument, I'd like to know if somebody has tested/used
the new backup facility from Apollo, NBS Omniback. I'm interested in hearing any
quirks/problems you had and about its performance.
Also, we have a few Exabytes from Workstation Solutions and whatever is written
on the Apollo is unreadable both on Sun and VMS (Viking controller, TK50 driver),
but both Sun and VMS written cassettes are readable on Apollo.
The message I get is 'illegal block length' (that's the semantic content of it :-).

Anyone can help ?

Achille Petrilli
Cray & PWS operations

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/14/89)

From talking to some Sun users who have Exabyte drives, I've gotten
the impression that the SCSI specs are kind of loose. Apparently
even various implementations of the Exabyte drive for the Sun-3 and
Sun-4 systems can not always talk to each other due to variations
in the SCSI driver. Maximum block lengths and the use of "short"
vs. "long" file marks seem to be the problem in most cases. Given
your error message, I'd guess that Workstation Solutions' SCSI
driver is writting longer physical records on the tape than the Sun
and Vax implementations can handle. Terri Long of Wrokstation
Solutions told me that their driver can be coerced into using the
same parameters as the other SCSI drivers by twiddling with
the DDF file in some manner (I think they may have some flags
set in the user-info block which can be changed with the
/com/crddf command). Try calling W.S. to see if you can change
the maximum block size of the driver.

== Dave