From pur-ee!gatech!unmvax!anlams!netlibd Sun Jun  7 06:31:30 1987
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 87 02:07:26 cdt
From: pur-ee!gatech!anlams!anlams!netlibd (Netlib)
Subject: index
To: iuvax!wcwang

===== general NETLIB index =====

Welcome to netlib, a system for distribution of mathematical software
by electronic mail.  This index is the reply you'll get to:
	mail netlib@anl-mcs.arpa
	send index.
To examine the full index for any library send a request of the form:
	send index from eispack.
To search for all software with certain keywords:
	find cubic spline.
To search for somebody in Gene Golub's address list:
	Who is Joan Doe?
displays entries containing "Joan" and "Doe".  (no spelling correction!)

Here are some addition forms a request may take...
send dgeco from linpack
  (Retrieves routine DGECO and all routines it calls from the LINPACK library.)
send only dgeco from linpack
  (Retrieves just DGECO and not subsidiary routines.)
send dgeco but not dgefa from linpack
  (Retrieves DGECO and subsidiaries, but excludes DGEFA and subsidiaries.)
send list of dgeco from linpack
  (Retrieves just the file names rather than the contents;
  this can be helpful when one already has an entire library and just
  wants to know what pieces are needed in a particular application.)
whois france
  (Retrieves all addresses of people in the database living in France.)

You may include several requests in a single piece of mail, but put
each on a separate line.

Send the requests to "netlib@anl-mcs.arpa"  even though replies appear to be
coming from  "netlibd@anl-mcs.arpa".  You'll be talking to a program,
so don't expect it to understand much English.  If your Unix system
doesn't talk directly to research, you might try forwarding through
ihnp4 (AT&T Bell Labs in Chicago) or mcvax (Math Centrum in Amsterdam).
Someone will be paying for long distance phone calls, so be reasonable!
Those with access, possibly through some gateway, to the arpanet can
use netlib@anl-mcs.arpa (at Argonne National Lab) instead of research!netlib
(at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, New Jersey).

The default precision is double; to get single, prefix the library name
with "s".  However, if the library only comes in one precision, that's what
you will be sent.  To save space we remove sequence numbers and maintain a
central set of machine dependent constants. Otherwise the codes, which are
almost all in Fortran, are as received from the authors.  Bugs found in
core libraries like eispack will receive prompt attention; in general, we
will forward comments (and annual lists of recipients) to the code authors.
The "Caveat receptor" you see means: this code may not be worth more than
you are paying for it!

-------quick summary of contents---------
alliant - set of programs collected from Alliant users
apollo - set of programs collected from Apollo users
benchmark - various benchmark programs and a summary of timings
bihar - Bjorstad's biharmonic solver
bmp - Brent's multiple precision package
cheney-kincaid - Programs from the book by, Ward Cheney & David Kincaid
conformal - Schwarz-Christoffel codes by Trefethen; Bjorstad+Grosse
core - machine constants, blas
domino - communication and scheduling of multiple tasks; Univ. Maryland
eispack - matrix eigenvalues and vectors
elefunt - Cody and Waite's tests for elementary functions
errata - corrections to numerical books
fishpack - separable elliptic PDEs; Swarztrauber and Sweet
fitpack - Cline's splines under tension
fftpack - Swarztrauber's Fourier transforms
fmm - software from the book by Forsythe, Malcolm, and Moler
fn - Fullerton's special functions
go - "golden oldies"  gaussq, zeroin, lowess, ...
harwell - MA28 sparse linear system
hompack - nonlinear equations by homotopy method
itpack - iterative linear system solution by Young and Kincaid
lanczos - Cullum and Willoughby's Lanczos programs
laso - Scott's Lanczos program for eigenvalues of sparse matrices
linpack - gaussian elimination, QR, SVD  by Dongarra, Bunch, Moler, Stewart
lp - linear programming
machines - short descriptions of various computers
microscope - Alfeld and Harris' system for discontinuity checking
minpack - nonlinear equations and least squares by More, Garbow, Hillstrom
misc - everything else
ode - ordinary differential equations
odepack - ordinary differential equations from Hindmarsh
sodepack - ordinary differential equations from Hindmarsh(S.P.)
paranoia - Kahan's floating point test
pchip - hermite cubics  Fritsch+Carlson
polyhedron - there is a file for each solid.
pltmg - Bank's multigrid code;  too large for ordinary mail
port - the public subset of PORT library
pppack - subroutines from de Boor's Practical Guide to Splines
quadpack - univariate quadrature by Piessens, de Donker, Kahaner
siam - typesetting macros for SIAM journal format
slatec - machine constants and error handling package from the Slatec library
specfun - transportable special functions
toeplitz - linear systems in Toeplitz or circulant form by Garbow
toms - Collected Algorithms of the ACM
y12m - sparse linear system  (Aarhus)

--------a bit more detail--------

MISC    Contains various pieces of software collected over time and:
	the source code for the netlib processor itself;
	the paper describing netlib and its implementation;
	the abstracts list maintained by Richard Bartels.

GO      Golden Oldies:  routines that have been widely used,
	but aren't available through the standard libraries.
	Nominations welcome!

CORE    Machine constants (i1mach,r1mach,d1mach), blas (level 1 and 2)

EISPACK  A collection of Fortran subroutines that compute the eigenvalues
	and eigenvectors of nine classes of matrices.  The package can
	determine the eigensystems of complex general, complex Hermitian,
	real general, real symmetric, real symmetric band, real symmetric
	tridiagonal, special real tridiagonal, generalized real, and
	generalized real symmetric matrices. In addition, there are two
	routines which use the singular value decomposition to solve
	certain least squares problems.
	Developed by the NATS Project at Argonne National Laboratory.
	(d.p. refer to eispack, s.p. refer to seispack)

LINPACK  A collection of Fortran subroutines that analyze and solve linear
	equations and linear least squares problems.  The package solves
	linear systems whose matrices are general, banded, symmetric
	indefinite, symmetric positive definite, triangular, and tridiagonal
	square.  In addition, the package computes the QR and singular value
	decompositions of rectangular matrices and applies them to least
	squares problems.
	Developed by Jack Dongarra, Jim Bunch, Cleve Moler and Pete Stewart.
	(all precisions contained here)

TOMS    Collected algorithms of the ACM. When requesting a specific
	item, please refer to the Algorithm number.

FMM      Routines from the book Computer Methods for Mathematical
	Computations, by Forsythe, Malcolm, and Moler.
	Developed by George Forsythe, Mike Malcolm, and Cleve Moler.
	(d.p. refer to fmm, s.p. refer to sfmm)

FN      Wayne Fullerton's special function library.
	(all precisions contained here)

FFTPACK A package of Fortran subprograms for the Fast Fourier
	Transform of periodic and other symmetric sequences
	This package consists of programs which perform Fast Fourier
	Transforms for both complex and real periodic sequences and
	certain other symmetric sequences.
	Developed by Paul Swarztrauber, at NCAR.

FISHPACK A package of Fortran subprograms providing finite difference
	approximations for elliptic boundary value problems.
	Developed by Paul Swarztrauber and Roland Sweet.

QUADPACK A package for numerical computation of definite univariate integrals.
	Developed by Piessens, Robert(Appl. Math. and Progr. Div.- K.U.Leuven)
	de Donker, Elise(Appl. Math. and Progr. Div.- K.U.Leuven
	Kahaner, David(National Bureau of Standards)      (slatec version)

TOEPLITZ A package of Fortran subprograms for the solution of systems
	of linear equations with coefficient matrices of Toeplitz or
	circulant form, and for orthogonal factorization of column-
	circulant matrices.
	 Developed by Burt Garbow at Argonne National Laboratory,
	as a culmination of Soviet-American collaborative effort.
	(d.p. refer to toeplitz, s.p. refer to stoeplitz)

PPPACK  Subroutines from: Carl de Boor, A Practical Guide to Splines,
	Springer Verlag. This is an old version, from around the time the book
	was published.  We will install a newer version as soon as we can.

ITPACK   Iterative Linear System Solver based on a number of methods:
	Jacobi method, SOR, SSOR with conjugate gradient acceleration
	or with Chebyshev (semi-iteration - SI) acceleration.
	Developed by Young and Kincaid and the group at U of Texas.

BIHAR   Biharmonic solver in rectangular geometry and polar coordinates.
	These routines were obtained from Petter Bjorstad,
	Veritas Research, Oslo Norway in July 1984.

LANCZOS procedures computing a few eigenvalues/eigenvectors of a large (sparse)
	symmetric matrix.  Jane Cullum and Ralph Willoughby, IBM Yorktown.

LASO    A competing Lanczos package.  David Scott.

CONFORMAL   contains routines to solve the "parameter problem" associated
	with the Schwarz-Christoffel mapping.  Includes:
	SCPACK (polygons with straight sides) from Nick Trefethen.
	CAP (circular arc polygons) from Petter Bjorstad and Eric Grosse.

FITPACK  A package for splines under tension.  (an early version)
	For a current copy and for other routines, contact:
	Alan Kaylor Cline, 8603 Altus Cove, Austin, Texas 78759, USA

HARWELL  Currently contains on the sparse matrix routine MA28 from the
	Harwell library.  from Iain Duff, AERE Harwell

BENCHMARK contains benchmark programs and the table of Linpack timings.

MACHINES contains information on high performance computers that
	are or soon to be made available

MINPACK	A package of Fortran programs for the solution of systems of
	nonlinear equations and nonlinear least squares problems.
	Five algorithmic paths each include a core subroutine and an
	easy-to-use driver.  The algorithms proceed either from an analytic
	specification of the Jacobian matrix or directly from the problem
	functions.  The paths include facilities for systems of equations
	with a banded Jacobian matrix, for least squares problems with a
	large amount of data, and for checking the consistency of the
	Jacobian matrix with the functions.
	Developed by Jorge More', Burt Garbow, and Ken Hillstrom at
	Argonne National Laboratory.
	(d.p. refer to minpack, s.p. refer to sminpack)

PORT    The public subset of the PORT library.  Includes the latest version
	of Gay's NL2SOL nonlinear least squares. The rest of the PORT3
	library is available by license from AT&T.

Y12M  calculation of the solution of systems of linear systems of
	linear algebra equations whose matrices are large and sparse.
	authors: Zahari Zlatev, Jerzy Wasniewski and Kjeld Schaumburg

PCHIP is a fortran package for piecewise cubic hermite inter-
	polation of data.  It features software to produce a monotone and
	"visually pleasing" interpolant to monotone data.
	Fred N. Fritsch, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

LP      Linear Programming - At present, this consists of one subdirectory,
	data: a set of test problems in MPS format, maintained by David Gay.
	For more information, try a request of the form
	send index for lp/data

ODE	various initial and boundary value ordinary differential equation
	solvers: colsys, dverk, rkf45, ode

ODEPACK The ODE package from Hindmarch and others.
	This is the single precision verison to get dp refer to dodepack.
	Alan Hindmarch, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

ELEFUNT is a collection of transportable Fortran programs for testing
	the elementary function programs provided with Fortran compilers.  The
	programs are described in detail in the book "Software Manual for the
	Elementary Functions" by W. J. Cody and W. Waite, Prentice Hall, 1980.

SPECFUN is an incomplete, but growing, collection of transportable
	Fortran programs for special functions, and of accompanying test
	programs similar in concept to those in ELEFUNT.
	W.J. Cody, Argonne National Laboratory

PARANOIA is a rather large program, devised by Prof. Kahan of Berkeley,
	to explore the floating point system on your computer.

SLATEC library    DoE policy apparently prohibits us from distributing this.
	Contact the National Energy Software Center or your congressman.

HOMPACK is a suite of FORTRAN 77 subroutines for solving nonlinear systems
	of equations by homotopy methods.  There are subroutines for fixed
	point, zero finding, and general homotopy curve tracking problems,
	utilizing both dense and sparse Jacobian matrices, and implementing
	three different algorithms: ODE-based, normal flow, and augmented
	Jacobian.

DOMINO is a set of C-language routines with a short assembly language
       interface that allows multiple tasks to communicate and schedules
       local tasks for execution.  These tasks may be on a single processor
       or spread among multiple processors connected by a message-passing
       network.  (O'Leary, Stewart, Van de Geijn, University of Maryland)

Apollo  A set of programs collected from Apollo users.

Alliant A set of programs collected from Alliant users.

Cheney-Kincaid Programs from the book by, Ward Cheney & David Kincaid
               NUMERICAL MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTING

Polyhedron There is a file for each solid.
      The format is nearly obvious; the details are given in poly.man

parmacs	-  parallel programmming macros for monitors and send/receive
      Rusty Lusk, Argonne National Laboratory, June 5, 1987 (lusk@anl-mcs.arpa)

sched - The Schedule Package is an environment for the transportable
        implementation of parallel algorithms in a Fortran setting.
        Jack Dongarra and Dan Sorensen, Argonne National Laboratory,
        June 5, 1987 (dongarra@anl-mcs.arpa sorensen@anl-mcs.arpa)

and also there are a few programs undering the news file comp.sources.unix

Bill Wang
Speech & Hearing Center
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405

UUCP  = {ihnp4,seismo,cbosgd}!iuvax!wcwang
CSNET = wcwang@indiana
ARPA  = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Phone = (812) 335-0714

obrooks@NSWC-WO.ARPA (08/19/87)

Does anyone have a phone number or net address (ARPA) for ADUS. We are trying
to become part of ADUS. We have sent a letter to the society but no response.
We especially want to get the X windows version from ADUS becuase it seems to
have the least problems.

LOST,
	OSCAR

IN REAL LIFE:			ADDRESS:

Oscar Brooks			obrooks@nswc-wo.arpa
Naval Surface Weapons Center
10901 New Hampshire Ave
Silver Spring, MD. 20903

nelson_r@apollo.UUCP (Rolf Nelson) (08/20/87)

>>  Does anyone have a phone number or net address (ARPA) for ADUS. We are trying
>>  to become part of ADUS. We have sent a letter to the society but no response.
>>  We especially want to get the X windows version from ADUS becuase it seems to
>>  have the least problems.

The coordinator for ordering ADUS software at Apollo is Lisa Mercier.
She can be reached at (617)256-6600 x4240

Lisa's mail address is UUCP: mercier_l!apollo
                       ARPA: mercier_l!apollo@mit-eddie.arpa

To order a tape containg both X windows Version 10 Release 4 and Gnuemacs
version 18.47 for the Apollo you need to send $50.00 (no purchase orders please)
payable to:

        Apollo Computer - Adus Library
        330 Billerica Road CHD 02 MK
        Chelmsford, MA. 01824

You must specify if you want the software on cartridge tape or magtape.

Lisa's mail address is UUCP: mercier_l!apollo
                       ARPA: mercier_l!apollo@mit-eddie.arpa

Andrea Woloski is the ADUS coordinator for events such as the Annual ADUS User's
Conference to be held this year in San Francisco, CA. from September 20-23.
She also handles new ADUS memberships.  She can be reached at (617)256-6600 x4448.

--  Rolf Nelson           UUCP: {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nelson_r
    Apollo Computer       ARPA: apollo!nelson_r@mit-eddie.arpa

-------

martin@prodix.liu.se (Martin Wendel) (04/29/89)

Hello ADUS members out there.

I just attended the first board meeting (or whatever it is called)
for starting a Swedish ADUS. It should hopefully be started in a
few months. We discussed the topic of financing and we could not
agree on any method. It is quite clear that the SADUS need finacial
support though, but there seems to be a lot of not so very good
ways of setting fees. (Should payment be made per node, per user
or per company?)

Since I was given the job of finding out how this works in other
countries I am posting this.

Please, send me information on how your ADUS is financed, or if you
have got some opinions on financing or any other problems that could
arise when starting up a new ADUS.

Thanks in advance.

Martin Wendel (martin@prodix.ikp.liu.se)
IKP-Pt
LiTH
S-581 83 Linkoping
Sweden

olin@sics.se (Peter Olin) (08/15/89)

	I've been looking through all my shelves of papers and documentation,
	but t looks as if  I've lost the address to ADUS.  Could
	someone please send me info about becoming a member.
Peter Olin
SICS, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, SWEDEN	Internet: olin@sics.se
Tel: +46 8 752 15 57

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/15/89)

Apollo's ADUS co-ordinator is:

Andrea Woloski
Apollo Computer, Inc.
330 Billerica Road
Chelmsford, MA 01824

You should be able to get an ADUS application form from your
local sales office. Andrea can also be contacted via e-mail
at

woloski_a@apollo.com (it may be apollo.hp.com now)

The ADUS office is pretty busy right now preparing for
the annual conference in New Orleans. You may not get
an immediate response.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu