[comp.sys.apollo] /usr/ucb/Mail bug remains under SR10

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (08/18/89)

Out of curiosity, I sat down this morning and executed /usr/ucb/Mail on
our experimental SR10.1 node.  I was dismayed to find that when you use
the ~h excape to modify the header fields, the previous contents of the
fields are discarded.  This bug has been on the known bug list at
Apollo for years!  I can't believe that after all the changes to make
SR10 "real UNIX", including rewriting the input streams to provide
"real ttys", that this hasn't been fixed.

I dunno, I guess I just naively expected that in return for all the
hassle we users were going to have to go through in converting to the
new OS, Apollo would provide improvements and repairs for all the
little outstanding glitches that were there because they didn't have a
real UNIX capability.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (08/19/89)

In article <1417@nosc.NOSC.MIL> dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) writes:
>Out of curiosity, I sat down this morning and executed /usr/ucb/Mail on
>our experimental SR10.1 node.  I was dismayed to find that when you use
>the ~h excape to modify the header fields, the previous contents of the
>fields are discarded.  This bug has been on the known bug list at
[mild flame delete]

>	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
>	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

Actually, I've never used the ~h command.  Do you use it when you send
a message?  I wouldn't call myself a Unix expert but when I tried this,
it did show my previous values.  Am I missing something?

Yan.
---
      Yan K. Lau                    + the last message of a newgroup will be:
   )~                               +   a) longer than one screen &
 ~/~  lau@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu +   b) something you're not interested in.
 /\   University of Pennsylvania    + your decision, 'n' key or space bar?

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (08/19/89)

This morning I wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I sat down this morning and executed /usr/ucb/Mail on
> our experimental SR10.1 node.  I was dismayed to find that when you use
> the ~h excape to modify the header fields, the previous contents of the
> fields are discarded.  This bug has been on the known bug list at
> Apollo for years!  I can't believe ...
> ...[further whining deleted]

It has just been pointed out to me that the node on which I did this
test is not completely set up properly, and the version of Mail I
tested was in fact the SR9.7 one.  I found the SR10.1 version of Mail
and tried it -- it works fine; the bug is fixed.  My apologies for the
misinformation.