[comp.sys.apollo] How can I get the Ethernet No. of an Apollo

schmidt@cadlab.uucp (Michael Schmidt) (07/26/89)

We have 3com Ethernet boards in one of our Apollos. Can any kind
soul tell me, how I can get the Ethernet No. of one of these boards?
--
    Michael Schmidt, CADLAB / FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Bahnhofstr. 32,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

adam@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Adam Feigin) (07/28/89)

try 'arp <hostname>' where <hostname> is the name of the host you want
to know the ethernet address of.

See the man page for arp

								AWF

Internet: feigin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu		Adam Feigin
UUCP: {backbones}!cornell!batcomputer!feigin  Workstation Consultant
MaBell: (607) 255-3985			Cornell National Supercomputer Facility

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/30/89)

3COM supplies diagnostics diskettes for its IBM PC XT/AT -slot
products that are in executable, 8086 code -- Among the things
this code (3C503.EXE) does is the reporting of the five hex
bytes of the ethernet address. It may seem like brute force, but
if you don't get help from 3COM (have you contacted them directly?)
you could slip the card into an IBM -- I have the software and
could e-mail it to you.
--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

root@simon.UUCP (Local Deity) (08/01/89)

In article <507@cadlab.cadlab.de>, schmidt@cadlab.uucp (Michael Schmidt) writes:
> We have 3com Ethernet boards in one of our Apollos. Can any kind
> soul tell me, how I can get the Ethernet No. of one of these boards?
> --

On all of the 3com boards I have seen in the U.S. the Ethernet address is
located on the board in two places.

On the back of the board, there is a label in English that specifies the
"NETWORK ADDRESS". This number has two parts; an assigned prefix that
identifies the interface as being manufactured by 3com, and a unique part
that identifies the specific board.

This second part of the address is also located on the small prom chip that
encodes the address. On a 3c505 card the first part of the address is 02.60.8C
and the prom is at U17. A 3c503 card will have a similar set of lables.

If the system is up and running you can find out the Ethernet address by using
the arp command available under UNIX.

has@ztivax.UUCP (Hans-Albert Schneider) (08/04/89)

In article <349@simon.UUCP> root@simon.UUCP (Local Deity) writes:
>In article <507@cadlab.cadlab.de>, schmidt@cadlab.uucp (Michael Schmidt) writes:
>> We have 3com Ethernet boards in one of our Apollos. Can any kind
>> soul tell me, how I can get the Ethernet No. of one of these boards?
>> --
>If the system is up and running you can find out the Ethernet address by using
>the arp command available under UNIX.

where is this command located under SR9.7? (Or is it unavailable
until SR10?) I did not find it in the /bsd4.2 tree.

	Hans-Albert
--
Hans-Albert Schneider			ARPA: has@ztivax.siemens.com
Siemens AG, ZFE F 2 INF 21		or:   has%ztivax@siemens.siemens.com

steve@simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) (08/09/89)

In article <716@ztivax.UUCP>, has@ztivax.UUCP (Hans-Albert Schneider) writes:
> In article <349@simon.UUCP> steve@simon.UUCP (Steve Piette) writes:
> >In article <507@cadlab.cadlab.de>, schmidt@cadlab.uucp (Michael Schmidt) writes:
> >> We have 3com Ethernet boards in one of our Apollos. Can any kind
> >> soul tell me, how I can get the Ethernet No. of one of these boards?
> >> --
> >If the system is up and running you can find out the Ethernet address by using
> >the arp command available under UNIX.
>
> where is this command located under SR9.7? (Or is it unavailable
> until SR10?) I did not find it in the /bsd4.2 tree.

Yes I goofed up, the arp command doesn't seem to be under 9.7 it does exist
in SR10. It may be a part of the tcp 3.x BSD stuff but I can't check it out.

If it is included it should be in /etc (bsd4.2/etc). I know the BSD TCP 3.x
release included ping and I thought arp as well but after a year the memory
fades. (:-)

But, I did remember another way to find out the ethernet address.
When you start tcp_server give it a -d option. This will tell it to run in
debug mode and the server will print the ethernet address of it's interface
as a part of the startup in the window.

I also belive the ether_diag program will print it, but not everyone has the
ether_diag on their systems. (something about which release tape it was on)

Anyway, I hope this is more helpful ( My apollo is still under water from the
last time the basement flooded, so all I had to check with last time was my Sun)

--
Steven E. Piette                              Applied Computer Technology Inc.
UUCP: {smarthost}!simon!steve                             1750 Riverwood Drive

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (08/23/89)

In article <349@simon.UUCP> root@simon.UUCP (Local Deity) writes:
>In article <507@cadlab.cadlab.de>, schmidt@cadlab.uucp (Michael Schmidt) writes:
>> We have 3com Ethernet boards in one of our Apollos. Can any kind
>> soul tell me, how I can get the Ethernet No. of one of these boards?
>> --
>
>On all of the 3com boards I have seen in the U.S. the Ethernet address is
>located on the board in two places.
>
>On the back of the board, there is a label in English that specifies the
>"NETWORK ADDRESS". This number has two parts; an assigned prefix that
>identifies the interface as being manufactured by 3com, and a unique part
>that identifies the specific board.
>
>This second part of the address is also located on the small prom chip that
>encodes the address. On a 3c505 card the first part of the address is 02.60.8C
>and the prom is at U17. A 3c503 card will have a similar set of lables.
>
>If the system is up and running you can find out the Ethernet address by using
>the arp command available under UNIX.

I seem to remember (it was some 2 years ago when I looked at it), that
Apollo's PC/AT Eth boards are NOT the ones you can buy in a shop, due
to a different ROM Apollo ships with them.

Also, apparently Apollo overwrites the standard (3Com) eth address
with Apollo's own address, that is 8:0:1e:??:??:??, where the last
??:??:?? stands for the hexadecimal nodeid of the machine. So the
same eth board will have different h/w addresses depending on which
node it is plugged in.

I was checking that when first installed domain on eth and we wanted to
know how much traffic was generated in, otherwise idle, conditions.
Obviously it took a couple of hours to realize that the board address
was overwritten :-)

Achille Petrilli
Cray and PWS operation