[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo--4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX

chung@CS.UOREGON.EDU (08/22/89)

Hi, E-buddies:

	Please accept my apology if my question is put in the wrong
group.  Recently, I connected an Apollo workstation (BSD DOMAIN/IX) to
the local area network (Ethernet) at the University of Oregon.  But I
got a problem.  I cannot rlogin the Apollo workstation.  The message
(double underlined) I got back is

% rlogin apollo
rlogind: All network ports in use.
==================================

When I tried telnet, it seemed working but I got another painful
message as soon as logged on:

% telnet apollo
Trying...
Connected to apollo-gateway.
Escape character is '^]'.

4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX (uo_apollo_1)

login: root
Password:

Welcome to BSD4.2 DOMAIN/IX!
B# ls
acl_protos			patches
Connection closed by foreign host.
==================================

I thought it might be that the port that the Apollo tried to use is
occupied by another host, however, I did not find any.  Can anyone tell
me what is wrong with it, or give me some hints?

Thanks in advance.

Wing

Wingkuen Chung
P. O. Box 3120                          | chung@cs.uoregon.edu
Eugene, OR 97403                        | University of Oregon.

ins_bxl@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Xuyong Liu) (08/24/89)

In article <8908212129.AA20669@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> chung@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>...   I cannot rlogin the Apollo workstation.  The message
>(double underlined) I got back is
>
>% rlogin apollo
>rlogind: All network ports in use.
>==================================
>
>When I tried telnet, it seemed working but I got another painful
>message as soon as logged on:
>
>Welcome to BSD4.2 DOMAIN/IX!
>B# ls
>acl_protos			patches
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>==================================

You have reached the right place.

Check under directory /dev. How many "ttyp[0-f]" files do you have? Who are
the owners of them? When you rlogin to an Apollo workstation, you take up the
first available "ttyp[0-f]" file, and you are assigned to be the owner of
that file. After you logout, the owner is changed back to root again.  If
all of these "ttyp[0-f]" are being used, you can not rlogin or telnet to the
system.  The solution would be to create more "ttyp[0-f]" files and
corresponding "ptyp[0-f]" files with the command "crpty".

As for the problem with telnet, I don't know the answer.  We have an Apollo
DN4000 running BSD4.3 under DOMAIN_OS 10.1. When I use telnet to access the
workstation, the computer won't even allow me to login as root directly. But
when you telnet, you still need an available "ttyp[0-f]" file to login.

------
Xuyong Liu
liu@alpha.ece.jhu.edu
ins_bxl@jhunix.uucp

abair@nimitz.oakhill.uucp (Alan Bair) (08/24/89)

In article <2351@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bxl@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Xuyong Liu) writes:

   DN4000 running BSD4.3 under DOMAIN_OS 10.1. When I use telnet to access the
   workstation, the computer won't even allow me to login as root directly. But

Root login is controlled by the /etc/ttys file.  By default, the console is
the only login port allowed for root.  For remote login, you need to add
entries for ptys with the "secure" field on.  Look at this file and read
manual descriptions for more details on how to set this up.

Alan Bair
SPS CAD  Austin, Texas
Motorola, Inc.
UUCP cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!turbinia!abair