[comp.sys.apollo] Cont: Apollo--4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX

chung@CS.UOREGON.EDU (08/24/89)

Hi, E-buddies:

In article <8908212129.AA20669@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> chung@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:
>got a problem.  I cannot rlogin the Apollo workstation.  The message
>(double underlined) I got back is
>
>% rlogin apollo
>rlogind: All network ports in use.
>==================================
>

>When I tried telnet, it seemed working but I got another painful
>message as soon as logged on:
>
>% telnet apollo
>Trying...
>Connected to apollo-gateway.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>

>4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX (uo_apollo_1)
>
>login: root
>Password:
>
>Welcome to BSD4.2 DOMAIN/IX!
>B# ls
>acl_protos                     patches
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>==================================

	Thank you very much for the reply.  I am right now "floating"
in these replies.  I won't be drowned since I know how to "e-swim."
b-) Tell you what: I have not solved my problem(s) yet but I am glad
that you e-buddies gave me a lot of e-help.

	The way to solve the "network ports in use" is to run
/etc/crpty in the object host(called Apollo1) with parameter 16.  Most
of you e-guys do not know what was wrong with the latter one, not me
either.  I would like to see the answer of it even though it is a
little bit fishy.  But I believe (as one of the replies said) if the
first problem is solved, the second will disappear.

	I deleted all the files ttyp0 thru ttypf in /dev, and then
recreated them by running the /etc/crpty.  After that, I restarted the
Apollo1 file server.  Now, another problem comes up, see what I got
when I tried to rlogin in several times.  System messages are double
underlined.

CASE I:
spencer: /home/skinner/chung 34> rlogin apollo1
Password:Connection closed.
         =================

CASE II:
spencer: /home/skinner/chung 35> !!
rlogin apollo1
Password:read: Connection reset by peer
         ==============================
                                       Connection closed.
				       =================
spencer: /home/skinner/chung 36>

CASE III:
spencer: /home/skinner/chung 37> !!
rlogin apollo1
Login incorrect
login: root
Password:read: Connection reset by peer
         ==============================
                                       Connection closed.
				       =================
spencer: /home/skinner/chung 38>

CASE IV:
spencer: /home/skinner/chung 38> !!
rlogin apollo1
Password:
Login incorrect
login: root
Password:

Welcome to BSD4.2 DOMAIN/IX!
B# wd
wd: not found
B#
B#
B#
B# ls
read: Connection reset by peer
==============================
                              Connection closed.
                              =================

	Interesting though that Apollo1 will never recognize the first
password entry.  Also, the response is extremely slow (in minutes).  I
really don't know what to do with these...  8-(  Could you guys give me
some help again?

	By the way, I am sorry for the incomplete information that I
posted out last time.  In fact, I try to rlogin to Apollo1 from the Tektronix
workstations (4317, 4325, etc)and another 4.3 BSD Unix system in our
CIS department.  There is no problem at all to rlogin to other Tek
workstations and the 4.3 Unix system.
------------------------------------

	An entry level system staff and entry level UNIX system
programmer that I am, I expect to see your suggestions and hints.

Thanks again for your friendly help.

Wing

Wingkuen Chung				| chung@uoregon.edu
P. O. Box 3120                          | University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403                        | Eugene, OR 97403
(503)485-0844				| (503)686-4151
Hmm!????  Ah???  Well, let me see!  Gee!   What?   Come on.       Y-{
OK.  See my e-buddies.  ???????? -------> DONE ------> Time to sleep.