[comp.sys.apollo] Filename completion by csh ?

sridhar@usceast.UUCP (M. A. Sridhar) (08/24/89)

The manual for SR10.1  says that the C shell completes filenames (a la BSD4.3)
if you set the filec variable. I tried it, but it doesn't work under
DM. Could anyone tell me why? If it matters, I'm running Domain with the
"medium" version of BSD4.3 on a DN3000.
--
M. A. Sridhar                  |
Department of Computer Science | ncr-sd!ncrcae ! usceast!sridhar (USENET)

nazgul@apollo.HP.COM (Kee Hinckley) (08/29/89)

In article <2895@usceast.UUCP> sridhar@usceast.uucp.UUCP (M. A. Sridhar) writes:
>The manual for SR10.1  says that the C shell completes filenames (a la BSD4.3)
>if you set the filec variable. I tried it, but it doesn't work under
>DM. Could anyone tell me why? If it matters, I'm running Domain with the
>"medium" version of BSD4.3 on a DN3000.

Because pads are not really terminals and don't support traditional terminal
escape sequences.  Think of pads and read-only or read-write editors and the
system makes more sense.  If you run the Cshell in a vt100 emulator or an
xterm file completion should work fine.

Obscure note.  It actually is possible to write a keydef (with side program)
that does command completion.  It grabs the text behind the cursor, and cp's
a program with that as an argument.  The program then inserts the remaining
characters.  Mind you I said "possible", not "desirable"!  :-)

							-kee
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###