[comp.sys.apollo] Root login over TCP/IP network

leonh@hhb.UUCP (leon howorth) (10/04/89)

This may have been covered before, but I missed the information.

My question is: What entries do I need to make to an SR10.1 apollo
systems /etc/ttys file in order to permit root login over the TCP/IP
network. My existing /etc/ttys file on the apollo node is as follows:

#
# ttys - terminal initialization data
#
#device	getty/program		term	on/off	other flags	comment

console	"/etc/dm_or_spm"	apollo	on	secure		# use mkcon to redirect console output
display	none			apollo	off	secure		# DM pad devices
tty01	none			dumb	off	secure
tty02	none			dumb	off	secure
tty03	none			dumb	off	secure

Leon A. Howorth			|  UUCP:  ....princeton!hhb!leonh
Computer Operations Manager	|  ARPA:  leonh%hhb@princeton.edu
HHB Systems			| VOICE:  201-848-8000 ext. 243
Mahwah, New Jersey 07430	|   FAX:  201-848-8189

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (10/05/89)

In article <282@hhb.UUCP> leonh@hhb.UUCP (leon howorth) writes:
>This may have been covered before, but I missed the information.
>
>My question is: What entries do I need to make to an SR10.1 apollo
>systems /etc/ttys file in order to permit root login over the TCP/IP
>network. My existing /etc/ttys file on the apollo node is as follows:

>--
>Leon A. Howorth			|  UUCP:  ....princeton!hhb!leonh
>Computer Operations Manager	|  ARPA:  leonh%hhb@princeton.edu
>HHB Systems			| VOICE:  201-848-8000 ext. 243
>Mahwah, New Jersey 07430	|   FAX:  201-848-8189

I changed /etc/ttys to prevent anybody (root included and me excluded)
from logging in via telnet/rlogin to my node. Here it is my /etc/ttys,
you just have to change "off" to "on" to tell the system that each port
is secure.
#
# ttys - terminal initialization data
#
#device  getty/program      term    on/off  other flags  comment

console	"/etc/dm_or_spm"   apollo  on             # use mkcon to redirect console output
ttyp0	none		dialup		off
ttyp1	none		dialup		off
ttyp2	none		dialup		off
ttypf	none		dialup		off

For those of you who don't know how to turn off all other user accounts
from my node, I created a /etc/d_users file containing just my user name.
Hope this helps,
	Achille Petrilli
	Cray & PWS Operations

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (10/05/89)

In article <282@hhb.UUCP> leonh@hhb.UUCP (leon howorth) writes:
>This may have been covered before, but I missed the information.
>
>My question is: What entries do I need to make to an SR10.1 apollo
>systems /etc/ttys file in order to permit root login over the TCP/IP
>network.

Leon -

You need to add entries to /etc/ttys which cover the pseudo-ttys, like this:

ttyp0	none			dumb	off	secure

You might also wish to look at the manpage for login(1), in case you want
additional levels of restriction by using /etc/d_passwd and /etc/d_users files
by changing "dumb" to "dialup" for the pseudo-ttys.

...walt...
--
Walt Weber               Apollo Systems Division, Hewlett Packard
(508) 256-6600 x8315     People's Republic of Massachusetts