[comp.sys.apollo] Kermit under SR10.1

gene@images.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Gene Franklin) (10/04/89)

We have apollos, which used to run under SR9.7.  We also had C-Kermit running
on these apollos.
Now we have upgraded to SR10.1, and now the old Kermit doesn't work ( the
symptoms are when you try to go SERVER you get the message "Unable to open
line: Not a typewriter").

Anybody got kermy going under 10.1 ?  Anybody got any ideas ?
Thanks for all your help (in advance) - email responses if you like

gene@images.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Gene Franklin) (10/04/89)

I seemed to have forgotten my address in the previous posting so ....

---- Gene ----
[usenet]					G.Franklin@Waterloo.NCR.COM
[cems]		WAT-ENG-ASET@CEMS Forward-Path: G.Franklin@Waterloo.NCR.COM
NCR Canada LTD., E&M Waterloo, Waterloo Ontario Canada, (519)-884-1710 x590

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (10/05/89)

Gene Franklin <G.Franklin@Waterloo.NCR.COM> was having problems with C-kermit
under SR10.1.  So did I, and I am pleased to report that the problem was
easily fixed, as I also reported to Info-Kermit Digest half a year ago.  I
don't remember which issue it ended up in, but anyway I include below the
message I sent at the time.  One warning though:  I got a letter from one
user who had included the flag -Uapollo among the CFLAGS in the makefile.
Unfortunately, there is code in stdio.h that breaks down if apollo is
undefined.  So please, do it my way.  And make sure to #undef apollo *after*
the #include's in ckcmai.c...

Frank da Cruz has been in communication with me about getting this
fixed properly in the official release of C-kermit, but haven't had
the time to look at it yet (working my butt off this term).

  Date: Tue, 4 Apr 89 20:05:28 EST
  From: hanche
  To: Info-Kermit@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
  CC: fdc@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
  Subject: C-kermit on apollo under SR10!

  I asked earlier about making C-Kermit work under SR10 on an Apollo.  I
  now have the answer, thanks to our local Apollo representative.
  Although the silence following my query was deafening---suggesting
  that no one on this list uses Apollos---I will now report the fix.

  The problem is basically this: The C-kermit code is full of special
  code to handle Apollos.  All this code turns out to be unnecessary
  (and indeed harmful) when running under SR10, since the operating
  system is now much more Unixlike.  Unfortunately, even the C compiler
  provided with the 4.3BSD environment of SR10 defines the preprocessor
  symbol aegis, thereby activating the unwanted code.  I fixed this by
  inserting a new item in the makefile, looking like this:

  #Apollos running SR10.0 or later:
  sr10-bsd:
	  make wermit "CFLAGS= -DBSD4 -DDEBUG -DTLOG -Uaegis"

  I also needed to add one line to ckcmai.c (anywhere near the beginning):

  #undef apollo

  and then the program compiled like a charm.

  I also discovered that you must use /dev/tty??, not /dev/sio? as the
  latter access the serial lines at a lower level than is standard on
  Unix systems.

  - Harald Hanche-Olsen   Division of Mathematical Sciences
    hanche@imf.unit.no    The Norwegian Institute of Technology

sridhar@usceast.UUCP (M. A. Sridhar) (10/06/89)

In article <238@images.Waterloo.NCR.COM> gene@images.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Gene Franklin) writes:

> (Asking about Kermit under SR10.1)

I got a copy of an Apollo-specific C-Kermit from labrea.stanford.edu (anonymous
ftp), and implemented it under SR10.1. I haven't had any problems so far.

Please e-mail me if you need a copy.

					Sridhar

--
M. A. Sridhar                  |
Department of Computer Science | ncr-sd!ncrcae ! usceast!sridhar (USENET)