[comp.sys.apollo] Password protection on dialups

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (10/05/89)

Can someone tell me a simple way to restrict login access on a couple
of our dialup lines?  Right now we use ttys/getty .  I know you can
add password protection with Aegis siologin/siomonit, but what if
I'm a UNIX only installation ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew Wescott
University of Houston
Department of Chemical Engineering

pcc@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Craine) (10/06/89)

In article <8910051532.AA00387@lnic1.hprc.uh.edu> wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) writes:

>Can someone tell me a simple way to restrict login access on a couple
>of our dialup lines?  Right now we use ttys/getty .  I know you can
>add password protection with Aegis siologin/siomonit, but what if
>I'm a UNIX only installation ?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

Check out the man page for login.  You'll see a section on "Dial-Up
Security".  This will discuss /etc/d_users and /etc/d_passwd.  These
files allow only certain users (d_users) who know the dialin password
(d_passwd) to use lines that are tagged as "dialin" in /etc/ttys.
You can use both, either, or neither of these files.

                Peter Craine, NACS

*I* don't wany my own opinions.  Why would HPOLLO want them?

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (10/06/89)

In article <8910051532.AA00387@lnic1.hprc.uh.edu> wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) writes:

>Can someone tell me a simple way to restrict login access on a couple
>of our dialup lines?  Right now we use ttys/getty .  I know you can
>add password protection with Aegis siologin/siomonit, but what if
>I'm a UNIX only installation ?

From /bsd4.3/usr/man/cat1/login.1 page:

SECURITY
     Sites wishing additional security protection on dial-up lines may want to
     use these security features, /etc/d_users and /etc/d_passwd.
     /etc/d_users is simply a file containing a list of users authorized to
     log in on this node.

     /etc/d_passwd is a file containing lines of the following format:

          /bin/sh:encrypted-password

     where encrypted-password is the dial-in password for the specified shell
     as returned by crypt(3).  If an entry for the user's log-in shell is not
     found in this file, the password for /bin/sh is used.
--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338      |       Disclaimer:
Motorola, Inc.  Logic IC Div., Mesa, AZ        |