	Date:    15 Sep 89 00:22:33 +0000
	From:    naugle%dover%oakhill%cs.utexas.edu%mailrus.uucp@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
		   (Ray Naugle)
	To:      apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu
	Subject: SR10.1 / TCP / UUCP

	Has anyone successfully gotten the UUCP distributed with Apollo's
	SR10.1 to work over a TCP connection?  The documentation looks very
	poor.  The UUCP distributed is the HoneyDanBer version (BNU) which
	looks like it should, but there is *no* explicit mention of doing
	this.  The manual supplied (Managing BSD System Software) with the
	release goes into vague detail and has no living examples.  (there
	is one mention of an old file - /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.real - which
	doesn't exist and I believe it is a hold over from sr9.5 Unix)

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks
	Ray Naugle

	------- End of Forwarded Message

Sure, here's what's I use in our Systems, Devices, and Permissions files:

#excerpt from Systems:
umich Any TCP uucp umich.engin.umich.edu login: Ucaen ssword: fill-in-passwd

#excerpt from Devices:
TCP,t TCP - Any TCP

#excerpt from Permissions:
#Permissions for when we call site umich (umich.engin.umich.edu)
MACHINE=umich MYNAME=caen\
	COMMANDS=rmail\
	READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic

#umich never calls us

Hope this helps!

Lisa Leutheuser                     ip: eal@sol.engin.umich.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Network  uucp: {backbone}!sol.engin.umich.edu!eal
University of Michigan              "Hacking's a dirty habit. Mail is science."

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (10/03/89)

In <8910022135.AA12864@umix.cc.umich.edu> eal@SOL.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU writes
some instructions for setting up HDB over the TCP transport, but only included
the entries for Systems, Devices, and Permissions files.  The following is
"submitted for your approval" (with a brief nod to The Twilight Zone :-)

          1.  Verify that the /etc/services file has a uucp entry that resembles:

                  uucp		540/tcp		uucpd		# uucp daemon

          2.  Verify that tcpd is running (correctly).

          3.  Edit the /etc/inetd.conf file adding a line that resembles:

                  uucp   stream tcp  nowait root /usr/lib/uucp/uucpd uucpd

              and restart inetd.

          4.  The /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file entry should look like:

                  hiway61 Any TCP 540  hiway61 login: uucp assword: uucpwd

          5.  The /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file entry should look like:

                  TCP,t TCP - Any TCP

          6.  Initiate the connection as normal.

...walt...
--
Walt Weber               Apollo Systems Division, Hewlett Packard
(508) 256-6600 x8315     People's Republic of Massachusetts

alan@procase.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (10/06/89)

>	From:    naugle%dover%oakhill%cs.utexas.edu%mailrus.uucp@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
>	Has anyone successfully gotten the UUCP distributed with Apollo's
>	SR10.1 to work over a TCP connection?  The documentation looks very
>	poor.  The UUCP distributed is the HoneyDanBer version (BNU) which
>	looks like it should, but there is *no* explicit mention of doing
>	this.  The manual supplied (Managing BSD System Software) with the
>	release goes into vague detail and has no living examples.  (there
>	is one mention of an old file - /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.real - which
>	doesn't exist and I believe it is a hold over from sr9.5 Unix)

Today I discovered that the Managing BSD manual says to use uucico.real
for the uucp login shell, BUT the man page for uucico says that in SR10
uucico.real is not used.  Someone must have done a poor job of editing.
I will presume that the man page is correct.
--
                             Alan Steinberg
                             tolerant!procase!alan

Helllllp, Mr. Wizarrrrrrd!!!  I don't wanna be a system administratorrrrrr..."