[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo hangs on VT100 emulator rlogin

pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) (10/10/89)

We are running SR9.7 and have been having a problem with the
remote login to another computer.  The ring has 16 nodes using
a single gateway to ethernet.  The problem is that occasionally
the Apollo will hang for many seconds.  The remote computer
times the Apollo out and disconnects.  We are running with large
size vt100s (>24x80).

My theory is that the Apollo software on Ethernet takes too long
to process collisions on the network.  This is because of the
following evidence:
	1)  The gateway node is not being used so it is not a problem
		with the gateway being overloaded.
	2)  We had some faulty hardware on the network that produced
		bad packets.  The Apollo software would halt for minutes
		at a time, but would seem to recover several minutes
		after the packets were gone.
If anyone can add support or disprove this theory, I would
appreciate the input.

manis@faculty.cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (10/12/89)

My experiments in using vt100 with rlogin were quite unsuccessful. It
would quite repeatedly hang just after I exited from GNU Emacs on the
remote system (I'm on a 3500 running SR 10.1, and was rlogging in to
various Suns running SunOS 4.0).

vt100's bugs have been loudly complained about here. For the record, the
only way I have managed to use it without problems is via the command

  vt100 -std telnet <host>

(I thought that I could at least have a `big VT-100', but non-standard
screen sizes seem to elicit scrolling problems).

With any luck, the vt100 command in 10.2 should be a bit more
trustworthy.

____________  Vincent Manis                    | manis@cs.ubc.ca
___ \  _____  The Invisible City of Kitezh     | manis@cs.ubc.cdn
____ \  ____  Department of Computer Science   | manis%cs.ubc@relay.cs.net
___  /\  ___  University of British Columbia   | uunet!ubc-cs!manis
__  /  \  __  Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1W5    | (604) 228-2394
_  / __ \  _  "There is no law that vulgarity and literary excellence cannot
____________   coexist."               -- A. Trevor Hodge

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (10/14/89)

In article <713@tijc02.UUCP> pjs269@tijc02.UUCP (Paul Schmidt) writes:
>We are running SR9.7 and have been having a problem with the
>remote login to another computer.  The ring has 16 nodes using
>a single gateway to ethernet.  The problem is that occasionally
>the Apollo will hang for many seconds.  The remote computer
>times the Apollo out and disconnects.

This is a good example of a problem that should definitely be
reported via an APR to customer service.  If you haven't done
so, your path-of-least-resistance to an Apollo-provided solution
is definitely through that channel.  If you have reported it
but not received an answer, call them and follow up.

/oj