[comp.sys.apollo] Memory Upgrades

crh@APOLLO.ENG.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Charlotte Hawley) (10/13/89)

We want to upgrade the memory in an DN3500.  Someone told
us about a company named Clearpoint?  Anyone out there know
where this company is located and/or the telephone number.
Or any other sources other than Apollo?

Charlotte Hawley
Ohio State Univ.

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (10/14/89)

In article <8910131222.AA04402@apollo.eng.ohio-state.edu> crh@APOLLO.ENG.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Charlotte Hawley) writes:

>We want to upgrade the memory in an DN3500.  Someone told
>us about a company named Clearpoint?  Anyone out there know
>where this company is located and/or the telephone number.

ClearPoint has a good rep., but ain't as cheap as some, I've heard.
They have been around awhile, and offer lifetime warrantees.

>Or any other sources other than Apollo?

A company named DataRAM has just expanded to the Apollo RAM market.
They have been in the DEC, etc., market for over 20 years, according
to their brochure.  Their products are covered by lifetime warrantees
as well, and guarantee next business day replacement via FedEx, free
of charge.  This sounds pretty good to me, so now can someone compare
their prices for us?  DataRAM charges $675 for 2MB boards and $1550
for 4MB boards.  I didn't ask about 1MB boards.  Shipping/handling
is about $5.

The (very impressive) salesperson I dealt with was Hugh Tucker, 714-836-5988

BTW, these were list prices I was given.  So how are ClearPoint's prices?

...lori

P.S.  4MB boards only work with x500 series Apollos.

arnaud@cbnews.ATT.COM (alain.arnaud) (10/16/89)

Clearpoint Research Corp
35 Parkwood Drive
Hopkinton, Mass 01748

1-800-253-2778 or 1-508-435-2200

Std Disclaimer + Just a consultant

Guest Account: arnaud@angate.att.com
Permanent Address: uunet!ecla!arnaud

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (10/18/89)

In article <8910131222.AA04402@apollo.eng.ohio-state.edu> crh@APOLLO.ENG.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Charlotte Hawley) writes:

>We want to upgrade the memory in an DN3500.  Someone told
>us about a company named Clearpoint?

I followed up last week to this request with a post about DataRam.
Clearpoint saw the post, and gave me a call.

As far as prices are concerned, comparing list prices isn't meaningful
since Clearpoint's discount was very substantial.  For us, they are in
the same ballpark as DataRam.  I suggest anyone interested in prices
should call directly for a quote rather than relying on what someone
else paid.  (Usually a good idea, but especially true in this case.)

Both companies have trade-in policies for upgrades.  (If you own a
Mentor workstation, you probably already have Clearpoint memory in
your machine.)

I haven't seen any other followups to this post.  Did I miss the
mention of any other RAM suppliers?  I have a DN3000 suffocating
with only 4MB of RAM.  We need to look around before we buy.

...lori