[comp.sys.apollo] Tek401x emulation

roode@hydra.cf.uci.edu (Dana Roode) (10/13/89)

Short question: what's the {easiest,best,cheapest} way to do Tek401x
emulation on an Apollo running 9.7 Aegis?  running 10.1 Aegis?  I
seem to remember a comment in the Apollo X11 distribution about
their xterm not support TEK mode.

  Dana Roode
  Roode@orion.cf.uci.edu

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (10/14/89)

In article <3452@orion.cf.uci.edu> roode@hydra.cf.uci.edu (Dana Roode) writes:
>Short question: what's the {easiest,best,cheapest} way to do Tek401x
>emulation on an Apollo running 9.7 Aegis?  running 10.1 Aegis?  I
>seem to remember a comment in the Apollo X11 distribution about
>their xterm not support TEK mode.

I remember an Apollo-supplied program called "4014" for SR9; don't
know if any such animal exists for SR10.  Some people at TRW asked
me for help with it awhile ago....willing to call them for details
if you think it's what you want.  The emulation was pretty good (IMHO);
it plotted graphics well.

...lori

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (10/14/89)

Dana Roode (address too weird for me to Cc: to it) asked about Tektronix
emulation in xterm.  The xterm in Apollo's X11 distribution DOES support
Tektronix mode; the way I read the comment in the release notes, Apollo does
not support that mode - meaning they won't try to fix it if it doesn't work.
The code is probably straight out of the official X distribution, and I
imagine it is reasonably robust.  I sure hope so - I intend to use it
myself...

- Harald Hanche-Olsen
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology

dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson) (10/16/89)

 >  The xterm in Apollo's X11 distribution DOES support Tektronix
 >  mode; the way I read the comment in the release notes, Apollo
 >  does not support that mode - meaning they won't try to fix it if
 >  it doesn't work. The code is probably straight out of the
 >  official X distribution, and I imagine it is reasonably robust.
 >  I sure hope so - I intend to use it myself...

This is about right. Versions of Domain/X11 for both SR9.7 and SR10.1
are based on X.V11R2 from MIT. The R2 xterm as it came from MIT had a
number of problems including, we have been told, some in the Tek4014
code. We fixed a bunch of these on the VT100 side. The reason we don't
offer Tek4014 support at SR9.7/SR10.1 is simply one of time and re-
sources. Tek4014 should work as well as it does in any other pure MIT
R2 X environment.

At SR10.2, when X Window System support is bundled with base software
(at no extra charge), we have moved to X.V11R3 for all libraries and
clients. The R3 xterm is considerably cleaner; there are no outstand-
ing problems reported against Tek4014. So we'll be supporting xterm
Tek4014 at SR10.2.

____________________________________________________________   My opinions
Keith Dawson  Hewlett Packard Co.         508-256-0176 x5739   are my own.
              Graphics Technology Division / East
              300 Apollo Dr.  (CHR.03.DE)
              Chelmsford, MA  01824                      USA   My convictions
              Internet: dawson@apollo.hp.com                   are not for
              UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!dawson   public display.

P.S. -- one reader got somewhat alarmed at the signature above.
        The Apollo Systems Division is alive and quite well. I
        just don't happen to work in that division.

lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) (10/19/89)

Danford Corporation (San Pedro, CA) used to (and may still) sell a TEK-4010
emulator, as well as a TEK-4113 emulator. Their programs have a 'mailbox'
mode that can be used with TCP-IP, etc.

Another company (whose name I can't remember right now) offers TEK
emulators as well as VT-100 emulators (like TEK-4105).
I seem to recall the name Brighton, or something like that as the name.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com