[comp.sys.apollo] Font Sizes

SRFERGU@ERENJ.BITNET (Scott Ferguson) (10/20/89)

I don't see as how the default font should be worth any agony. There's
enough utilities for changing the font, and there's plenty of nice fonts
to go around. The only quirk I've seen is that it's pretty hard to change
the font in the DM command window.

Ever seen the default font in X11? Jeez! Which brings up my question:

Does anyone know the command for loading different fonts in X11 xterm windows?

Scott Ferguson
ferguson@erenj.bitnet

p.s. Back when 9.5 came out, I thought it was real nice when Apollo gave out
the Times and Helvetica fonts with the OS. Thanks.

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (10/21/89)

In article <8910201314.AA03980@umix.cc.umich.edu> SRFERGU@ERENJ.BITNET (Scott Ferguson) writes:

>Ever seen the default font in X11? Jeez!
Yeh, it's bad....

>Does anyone know the command for loading different fonts in X11 xterm windows?

There are a bunch of ways of doing this.
Best:  put lines in your ~/.Xdefaults file like this (as long as
you have XV11R3 fonts on your machine):

xterm*vt100*boldFont:         *-courier-medium-r*-140-*
xterm*vt100*font:             *-courier-bold-r*-140-*

This uses courier bold 14 point for normal text and non-bold for
"standout" text.  A bit quirky, but I find the bold easier to read.

Second best: issue the command

  xterm -font "*-courier-bold-r*-140-*"

This specifies the font explicitly.  It seems to get overridden by
the ~/.Xdefaults spec if you have one.

>Back when 9.5 came out, I thought it was real nice when Apollo gave out
>the Times and Helvetica fonts with the OS. Thanks.
You're welcome. Adobe was nice enough to donate the same Times, Helvetica,
Courier, and Symbol font bitmaps to the XV11R3 tape.  Bitstream donated
bitmaps for a font known as Charter to the same tape.  All of these fonts
are of high quality.  I like Charter because it looks nice and they offer
a 33-point version.   However, you can't use variable-width fonts with xterm.

We put all these fonts on our SR10.1 X distribution.

/oj (speaking for myself, not necessarily for HP Apollo Systems Division)