[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo NFS V2.0

robert@aragorn.cm.deakin.oz.au (Robert Ruge) (10/10/89)

I am hoping that somebody can help me with an NFS installation problem
that I am having. I am running SR10.1 on a 3010 and have had troubles
getting NFS running. I can mount the apollo root directory and access
all its files from another unix system but I cannot get a unix
filesystem mounted onto the apollo. I need to mount some user
filesystems onto the apollo because it only has an 80Mb disk and it is
becoming desperately short on space.

The message I get from a 'mount -o soft aragorn:/u /u' is 'nfsmount
returned in error', and when I run nfsmount itself or even showmount I
get an 'IOT Trap' message. Does anybody have any idea what could be
causing the problem or how to fix it? Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

Why is it that every time I work on our (only) apollo I experience
extreme depression?? Is it the contorted installation procedures, the
pathetic installation manuals, or just me?? Anyway you don't have to
answer that, but any tips on my other problem would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Robert Ruge	  | UUCP:   {uunet,mcvax,ukc,ubc-cs
Computing/Maths	  |          nttlab}!munnari!aragorn.oz!robert
Deakin University | ARPA:   robert@aragorn.OZ.AU
Victoria, 3217	  | CSNET:  robert@aragorn.OZ.AU
Australia	  | ACSNET: robert@aragorn.oz  PHONE:  +61 52 471319

Robert Ruge					    robert@aragorn

majka@moose.cs.ubc.ca (Marc Majka) (10/11/89)

In article <7847@charlie.OZ> robert@aragorn.cm.deakin.oz.au (Robert Ruge) writes:
>... I am running SR10.1 on a 3010 and have had troubles
>getting NFS running...

>The message I get from a 'mount -o soft aragorn:/u /u' is 'nfsmount
>returned in error', ...

I haven't had this problem with NFS.  Make sure that /u does *not* exist
when you do the mount.  Apollo NFS uses "gateway" type files for NFS
mount points.  It creates them on the fly.  If you try something like:

	% mkdir /bar
	% mount foo:/bar /bar

It will fail!  Something else for us old UNIX hacks to remember.

---
Marc Majka  -  System Manager  UBC Computer Science

clif@ticipa.ti.com (Clif Harden) (10/12/89)

From article <7847@charlie.OZ>, by robert@aragorn.cm.deakin.oz.au (Robert Ruge):
> I am hoping that somebody can help me with an NFS installation problem
> that I am having. I am running SR10.1 on a 3010 and have had troubles
> getting NFS running.
>
> The message I get from a 'mount -o soft aragorn:/u /u' is 'nfsmount
> returned in error', and when I run nfsmount itself or even showmount I
> get an 'IOT Trap' message.

We run SR10.1 NFS 2.0 here on our network with no problems.
I tryed the command that you gave and it worked with no problems.

This is the way I do the command, it might be something you want to try.
      mount -v -t nfs -o soft aragorn:/u /u

There are some Apollo software patches for NFS 2.0.  If you don't have
them that might be your problem.

Clif Harden                    TI PAC Apollo Network Adminstrator
Texas Instruments
PO Box 655012  M/S 3635
Dallas, TX 75265

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (10/18/89)

In article <238@ticipa.ti.com>, clif@ticipa.ti.com (Clif Harden) writes:

> We run SR10.1 NFS 2.0 here on our network with no problems.
> I tryed the command that you gave and it worked with no problems.
>
> This is the way I do the command, it might be something you want to try.
>       mount -v -t nfs -o soft aragorn:/u /u

Since we run these large, power hungry Mentor Graphics CAD applications,
we usually try to distribute our servers around several nodes.

            node A      /O\  nfsd, mountd        Node A and B are
                       /   \                     DN3000's with 4Mb RAM
                       |    |   Token Ring
                       \    /
            node B      \O/
                         |          Ethernet
            -------------+-----------------------------

To realize this, we run the NFS servers on a node one the ring _different_
from the gateway node to the Ethernet (which connects to some Suns and a
Vax)

However, it we always get timeouts when trying to access DOMAIN files
from one of the Suns.  I could guess that the nfsd gets paged out when
there is no activity (after you _do_ get into the directory, the response
time seems normal). We have changed the mount command so that
there are lots retries etc.

Has anyone configured like this and did it work?

--
Danny Wilson
IDACOM Electronics		danny@idacom.uucp

clif@ticipa.ti.com (Clif Harden) (10/21/89)

From article <758@idacom.UUCP>, by danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson):

> To realize this, we run the NFS servers on a node one the ring _different_
> from the gateway node to the Ethernet (which connects to some Suns and a
> Vax)

I am assuming that you mean the your gateway node is not running as a
NFS server.  Running the gateway node as a NFS server won't cause you
any problems.  In fact it may be part of your problem.  We had a problem
quite similar to this.  We mounted files from our microvax to our
gateway node which had NFS running.  Some of our nodes didn't have
NFS running, these nodes could see the NFS mounted files but could not
access them properly, they timed out trying to access them.

Just because you have NFS running on some of your nodes doesn't
mean all your nodes can use the NFS mounted files.  Those nodes that
don't have NFS installed probably won't work correctly.

I suppect that if your gateway node isn't running NFS it may be
having trouble handling the NFS requests.

I run NFS on all the nodes in my network and I don't have any NFS problems.

dente@els.uucp (Colin Dente) (10/24/89)

In article <758@idacom.UUCP> danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) writes:

>[Description of NFS set up at IDACOM]
>
>            node A      /O\  nfsd, mountd        Node A and B are
>                       /   \                     DN3000's with 4Mb RAM
>                       |    |   Token Ring
>                       \    /
>            node B      \O/
>                         |          Ethernet
>            -------------+-----------------------------
>
>To realize this, we run the NFS servers on a node one the ring _different_
>from the gateway node to the Ethernet (which connects to some Suns and a
>Vax)
>
>However, it we always get timeouts when trying to access DOMAIN files
>from one of the Suns.  I could guess that the nfsd gets paged out when
>there is no activity (after you _do_ get into the directory, the response
>time seems normal). We have changed the mount command so that
>there are lots retries etc.
>
>Has anyone configured like this and did it work?

Sorry for the big quote - but it all seems relevant.

We have a similar configuration - except we are running the NFS stuff
on the gateway node (DN3010, 4Mb, 10.1) (+ we have a few more nodes on
the token ring), and response is *AWFUL*.  Accessing domain files from
a Sun on the same piece of ethernet as the Apollo will often result in
many timeouts - (that is, the Sun says 'NFS server <apollo's name> not
responding' followed a few seconds later by 'NFS server <apollo> OK'.
Typically, you might expect 20 timeouts when shifting 5Mbytes of data
across via NFS.

In another building, I have a very similar setup, but with a DN590-T
(12Mb, ETH802.3_VME interface, 10.1) as the gateway - this behaves
similarly, except the NFS server on that often goes away for ever
(well, until I get bored - i.e. >1 hour).

In both cases the ethernet is very lightly used - peak load is about
10%, average 2-3%.

I'm told that you have to patch the ethernet8_microcode on pre SR10.2
releases of the OS, but surely this only applies to the AT bus
machines? or am I wrong there? - anyway - I'm waiting for the relevant
patch.

As a matter of interest, I had exactly the same situation with NFS
V1.0 running on a DSP80A (3Mb, SR9.7.1, COM-ECMB) - I just put it down
to crap hardware - seems I was unfairly demeaning the poor little
bugger.

Has anyone found these problems?
- or a cure?
- will patching the ethernet8_microcode solve my troubles?
- will we all live happily ever after?
- help????!!!!

 Colin Dente                      | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
 Dept. of Electrical Engineering  | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk
 University of Manchester         | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!man.ee.els!dente
 England                          | These might work now, but then again...

tvb@bugeater.UUCP (Terry Bush) (10/24/89)

> From article <758@idacom.UUCP>, by danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson):
> >
> > To realize this, we run the NFS servers on a node one the ring _different_
> > from the gateway node to the Ethernet (which connects to some Suns and a
> > Vax)
>
> I am assuming that you mean the your gateway node is not running as a
> NFS server.  Running the gateway node as a NFS server won't cause you
> any problems.  In fact it may be part of your problem.  We had a problem
> quite similar to this.  We mounted files from our microvax to our
> gateway node which had NFS running.  Some of our nodes didn't have
> NFS running, these nodes could see the NFS mounted files but could not
> access them properly, they timed out trying to access them.
>
> Just because you have NFS running on some of your nodes doesn't
> mean all your nodes can use the NFS mounted files.  Those nodes that
> don't have NFS installed probably won't work correctly.
>
> I suppect that if your gateway node isn't running NFS it may be
> having trouble handling the NFS requests.
>
> I run NFS on all the nodes in my network and I don't have any NFS problems.

This is not entirely true.  Your problems may be one of the following:

1. TCP/IP is not configured such that nodes on one side of the gateway
   or the other are not aware of the other network.  Run
   '/usr/ucb/netstat -r' to determine if the hosts know about the
   gateway.  To solve this you can run an active router on the gateway
   node and passive routers on non-router nodes (On Apollos run
   '/etc/routed -q -h' for the passive routers.)  -OR- Run '/etc/route'
   to add knowledge of the gateways on all nodes in question.

2. NFS type managers are not installed.  To determine this, run '/com/ld
   -a <mount_point>' (fill in <mount_point>) on a node that is having
   trouble.  If the file type should be 'nfs_gate' for the mount point
   and 'nfs_dir' or 'nfs_file' inside the tree.  To fix this, install
   NFS on all hosts as a 'link' to another node.  This will install the
   type server, etc. on each host, but will not install the files in
   /etc that take up so much disk space.

I run NFS routinely on my Apollos and always have to rsh to the gateway,
then to the remote host in order to run /etc/route so they all know
about each other.  Maybe other vendors than Apollo will supply the '-h'
option to routed that makes it go away after the routing tables
stablize.  This is very nice of Apollo.

	Peace,
	Terry V. Bush
	The Veritable Bugeater