[comp.sys.apollo] Scanners on Apollo ?

rkw@OKC-UNIX.AF.MIL (Ron Wallman MMECTA) (10/26/89)

     Context has a document scanning system.  It is intented to be used
with their documentation package, but may be of interest.

     Datacopy 830 line art scanner and Scaned Image Editor & scanner
control software is around $6K depending on your company discounts.

     Calera CDP9000 batch OCR and document recognition software is
around $36K depending on your company discounts.

     This is a new product, therefore it has it's growing pains.

     A sales point of contact is Rocco Papalio, Mentor Graphics,
214-233-9897.

     I have the complete system on my Apollo network.  These scanners
have been installed on DN3010s.

Ronald K Wallman
Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center
OC-ALC/MMECTR
Bldg 3220
Tinker AFB, OK   73145-5990
(405)-736-7184     DDN Mail Address: rkw@okc-unix.arpa

collins@nvpna1.prl.philips.nl (Donal O Coileain) (10/26/89)

Does anyone know of any scanners which can be hooked up to Apollo
for scanning graphic images and also OCR/ICR( character recognition ? )
I simply want files to be created using some simple interface ( nothing
fancy ).

Basically, I'm looking for the simplest scanner possible. Only to scan
images in, with a tool to be able to display them if they get saved in some
compressed format ( e.g FAX format ). Perhaps if there's an image editor
as well, so you could put text on your scanned images, that would be useful.
The OCR is to enable you to scan documents and get ascii text out. Obviously
that would save on file size vs. it's equivalent image file.
The tool would produce a simple file e.g scan.bitmap, scan.compressed,
scan.ascii, etc.

Thanks,
G.Pritchett
Philips Components Central Systems Support Group

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/27/89)

Mitsubishi International is selling a color page scanner which
produces GPR bitmap files, which can then be processed later
using your own application package. It's the only scanner
I know of so far.

DISCLAIMER: I wrote the simple scanner software that scans an
            image into a GPR bitmap file for Mitsubishi International.
            They paid me real money to do this, therefore I have a
            vested interest in this thing. However, I really have not
            seen any other scanners offerred for the Apollo systems.

== Dave

lori@hacgate.UUCP (Lori Barfield) (10/27/89)

In article <753@prles2.UUCP> page@nvpna1.UUCP (Greg Pritchett) writes:
>Does anyone know of any scanners which can be hooked up to Apollo
>for scanning graphic images and also OCR/ICR( character recognition ? )
>I simply want files to be created using some simple interface ( nothing
>fancy ).

We bought a Datacopy scanner for our DN4500.  The interface routine is
nice--  all mouse-driven, and I just found out that our InterCAP
(CAD system) software also includes some kind of a driver interface.

We have only done limited testing with the imaging portion; we didn't
need any character recognition, so I doubt we bought any such software.

This was not a cheap scanner, and I know you are looking for a
minimal setup, but maybe talking to these people will help inform you.
They may also have other products which are at the lower end.

		     Datacopy:  415-965-7900

I submit, however, that peripherals like scanners would probably be
much cheaper if purchased for a PC of some sort.  Character recognition
software is reportedly in the public domain now.  (I also have a friend
who bought a scanner for his IBM PC clone for $300, complete with
driver and recognition stuff.)  It might be more cost effective to
buy an old PC along with the scanner, and then just upload with a modem
through an SIO line.  If you investigate this, please post your
findings to the net!

...lori