[comp.sys.apollo] Poor performance of SR10.1 on 590's

kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) (11/10/89)

We have recently installed 10.1 (AEGIS and BSD) on a DN590-T that
was previously running 9.7.  The system has 8MB of RAM and a 348
MB drive.  The system's response to simple commands like 'ls' and
'cd' is exasperatingly slow at times.  Apollo says they are aware
of the problem but don't have a solution yet.  The problem seems
to be confined to DN570-590 series machines as our DN3500 has no
problems with 10.1.

Anybody else experience this same problem?

Kent Kuriyama                          Voice (808) 257-1618
Naval Ocean Systems Center             FAX   (808) 257-5231
Hawaii Laboratory                      Box 997, Code 531
kent@nosc.mil                          Kailua, HI   96734

jaa@frank.Philips.Com (Joseph M. Amato) (11/10/89)

In article <8911100136.AA05332@humu.nosc.mil> kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) writes:
>We have recently installed 10.1 (AEGIS and BSD) on a DN590-T that
>was previously running 9.7.  The system has 8MB of RAM and a 348
>MB drive.  The system's response to simple commands like 'ls' and
>'cd' is exasperatingly slow at times.  Apollo says they are aware
>of the problem but don't have a solution yet.  The problem seems
>to be confined to DN570-590 series machines as our DN3500 has no
>problems with 10.1.
>

>Anybody else experience this same problem?

And how.  570-T running very slow.
Apollo or Mentor Graphics (I can't remember which) claims the 570-T
machine is as fast if not faster than a 3000.

		DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT.

Our 3000 has always been faster. (both run with 8Mb)

Joe Amato

 jaa@philabs.philips.com  |  Some say "life is not worth living."
                          |      ...many have a wish to die.
    My company's views    |  I wonder,
        may differ        |      will they then say "death is not worth dying?"