[comp.sys.apollo] Performance Tools??

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (11/10/89)

WRT posting <618@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au>:

> I like to know the page in/out activities, swapping, disk waits,
> network activities of a specify machines, something like vmstat in
> a true UNIX system (ps is not good enough either).

"/com/pst -pa" will show you some paging info on a per-process basis.

If you want "vmstat" though, there is an Apollo implementation of it
under sr10.1. It's hidden in a funny place, look in "/systest/ssr_util"
( "/systest/ssr_util/vmstat"   "/systest/ssr_util/vmstat.hlp" ).
There are several other interesting tools in that directory, but be
forewarned, they are unsupported and some of them can be dangerous
if improperly used.

Dave Funk

jch@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (11/11/89)

Re; Performance on Apollos

If you are into perfromance monitoring you should definitly pick
up DPAK. While these are not generic UNIX tools, they are a lot better
than mon was last time I used it. But they are oriented torwards
analyzing a particular program not the whole system.

-Jan Hardenbergh - jch@apollo.hp.com - HP Graphics Technology Division

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (11/12/89)

In article <8911100928.AA00509@icaen.uiowa.edu> dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) writes:
>... a funny place, look in "/systest/ssr_util"...
>There are several other interesting tools in that directory...

* To look at your system (hardware) error log, try /systest/ssr_util/lsyserr  ...

* As of sr10.1.p (DN10K) and/or sr10.2 (m68k and DN10K) try
   /systest/ssr_util/color_probe [-rgb] [-b]

  -rgb makes it show a true-color color map on VS systems
  -b   makes it run in borrow mode.

  You can use the mouse to point to colors.  If you press a mouse key, it'll
  flash the color you're pointing to.  Left=red, middle=green, right=blue .

* On the DN10000VS there's an "interactive mouse diagnostic" :-)
  /systest/ssr_util/bzone_vs

Have fun.

>but be forewarned, they are unsupported and some of them can be dangerous
>if improperly used.

I couldn't have said it better myself.....
/Ollie Jones (speaking for myself, not for HP Apollo Systems Division)