[comp.sys.apollo] vi in rlogin

gyp@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Patrick Tang Guan Yaw) (11/09/89)

I have trouble getting vi to work properly under rlogin.
I am running SR10.1 on a DN40000 node rlogin into a 10k node.

The problem is that vi will display the file but does
not allow you to move the cursor around, the cursor is
at the bottom of the screen.  I check the environment
variables and everything seems to be ok, even stty
tell me that it is at a correct speed.  What have I
done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
----
Patrick Tang Guan Yaw,		Phone	 :	+61 62 68 8820
Dept. of Mathematics,	EMAIL-ARPA/CSNET :	gyp@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
ADFA, Canberra, 2600.		UUCP	 :	..!uunet!munnari!ccadfa.oz!gyp
AUSTRALIA			ACSnet   :	gyp@ccadfa.oz

van@tcipro.UUCP (11/10/89)

>   I have trouble getting vi to work properly under rlogin.
>   I am running SR10.1 on a DN40000 node rlogin into a 10k node.
>
>   The problem is that vi will display the file but does
>   not allow you to move the cursor around, the cursor is
>   at the bottom of the screen.  I check the environment
>   variables and everything seems to be ok, even stty
>   tell me that it is at a correct speed.  What have I
>   done wrong?

I've had simular problems with vi and emacs while using rlogin.  These
basic problems can be solved by invoking the vt100 emulator before
doing an rlogin.  Type 'vt100' to invoke the emulator.  Unfortunately,
sometimes upon exiting the editor (emacs in my case) the rlogin window
will be dead (a problem that has been mentioned in past postings).
I don't know if this will happen with vi or not.  Hope this helps you out.

--Van Henkle
  Thomson CSF, Inc./PRO
  Palo Alto, Ca
  van%tcipro.uucp@unix.sri.com

kr@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Alan Rodwell) (11/14/89)

In article <633@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au>, gyp@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Patrick Tang
Guan Yaw) writes:
> I have trouble getting vi to work properly under rlogin.
> I am running SR10.1 on a DN40000 node rlogin into a 10k node.
>
> The problem is that vi will display the file but does
> not allow you to move the cursor around, the cursor is
> at the bottom of the screen.  I check the environment
> variables and everything seems to be ok, even stty
> tell me that it is at a correct speed.  What have I
> done wrong?

	If you are at the DM, you should be in vt100 window, you will
need to have your shell environment variable set to vt100.  That should
take care of you.

``This theory which is mine, is mine'' -- Ann Elk (Monty Python)
Keith Alan Rodwell
Apollo/HP Customer Support
(508)-256-6600 X8415