[comp.sys.apollo] Unix Plot

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (11/15/89)

Until I get X-windows, I'd like to use the Unix "plot" command for some
low-level graphics.  However, when I try to do a "plot -Tapollo.15.color"
(or any other display description), it dies saying something about
font initialization failing.  When I do a plot -T4014 logged in from
a remote Tektronix emulator, everything works fine. I'm running 10.1
on an Apollo DN10000.
   Also, under BSD4.3 is there any way to create a tektronix window
for telnet (say, when I'm logging into a Cray somewhere?).  Alternately,
is there any way to display a tek command file in a window as graphics?
   Can the GPR calls be used without installing a full Aegis environment?
When I try compiling the Fortran sample programs, the compile fails because
it can't find the needed include files in /sys/ins  (I don't even seem
to have a /sys/ins directory).
.

crh@APOLLO.ENG.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Charlotte Hawley) (11/15/89)

Regarding your problem with fonts, we had the same problem using
plot (I presume you have 10.1).  We found out there was a bug
somewhere and the plot needs some Sys V stuff and I only had
BSD.  So the trick was to make sure the link sys5 and sys5.3
is o.k. and go into sys5 and link etc and usr to the bsd etc and user.
Then plot worked o.k.

oj@apollo.HP.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (11/16/89)

In article <6271@tank.uchicago.edu> rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:
>Until I get X-windows, I'd like to use the Unix "plot" command for some
>low-level graphics.  However, when I try to do a "plot -Tapollo.15.color"
>(or any other display description), it dies saying something about
>font initialization failing.  When I do a plot -T4014 logged in from
>a remote Tektronix emulator, everything works fine. I'm running 10.1
>on an Apollo DN10000.

Somebody else answered this to say you need some SysV stuff.

>   Also, under BSD4.3 is there any way to create a tektronix window
>for telnet (say, when I'm logging into a Cray somewhere?).  Alternately,
>is there any way to display a tek command file in a window as graphics?

Yeh, use xterm with the X Window System...But for this you need one of the
following:     Domain/X11 Version 1.1.p (only for 8-plane DN10000 graphics)
               SR10.2.p   (not shipping quite yet, but provides bundled X
                            good for 8-, 40-, and 80-plane displays)

>   Can the GPR calls be used without installing a full Aegis environment?
Yes, they can.

>When I try compiling the Fortran sample programs, the compile fails because
>it can't find the needed include files in /sys/ins  (I don't even seem
>to have a /sys/ins directory).

Right, you have to install Aegis to get the /sys/ins stuff. (yes, yes, we
know.....)  If you install bsd or SysV you get /usr/apollo/include/gpr.h
among other things.   This is useful if you're a C hacker.

/oj