[comp.sys.apollo] Connecting a Terminal to DN3500

mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Mort d`Hump) (11/10/89)

I am attempting to get a terminal going on a sio port on a DN3500
running SR10.1.

I have two problems:

1) I can't get the terminal to talk at any faster than 1200bd.

2) When I try to use vi, the system responds with "I don't know enough
about your terminal" & sends a bunch of escape sequences to the screen,
then proceeds to log me out.

The terminal is a Kemtron KT-7 & it does ansi. I have also used XTALK
on a PC with the same results for both ansi & vt100. XTALK works fine
with a dialup UNIX system I have  an account on.

TERM is set in /etc/ttys for the sio port. I have also set the TERM
variable from the shell with the same results...

What am I missing??

Wishing SR10.1 was *real* UNIX.....
--

			Marty Wiedmeyer
			mort@dhump.lakesys.COM

lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) (11/13/89)

Have you tried using the Aegis TCTL command (TCTL -line # -speed <baud>) to
set the speed? Yes, this isn't UNIX, but at least see if your SIO port is
working. Also, have you determined if your terminal needs flow control
(XON/XOFF)? You might want to set (Aegis, again) -INSYNC and -HOSTSYNC using
the aforementioned TCTL command.

Finally, are you using the 1-to-3 converter cable to separate the three SIO
ports from the single DB-25 connector? Perhaps you are referring to the wrong
SIO port in your Unix stuff.

Anyway, who offers *real* UNIX, and what IS *real* Unix???!?

Michael Lampi
Michael Lampi               MDL Corporation   213/782-7888   fax 213/782-7927

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com
"My opinions are that of my corporation!"

pcc@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Craine) (11/17/89)

In article <489@dhump.lakesys.COM> mort@dhump.lakesys.COM (Mort d`Hump) writes:
>I am attempting to get a terminal going on a sio port on a DN3500
>running SR10.1.
>
>I have two problems:
>
>1) I can't get the terminal to talk at any faster than 1200bd.

   That's strange.  I haven't had any problems getting my ports
to run up to 9600 baud.  What happens?

>2) When I try to use vi, the system responds with "I don't know enough
>about your terminal" & sends a bunch of escape sequences to the screen,
>then proceeds to log me out.

    Sounds like your using Sys5 vi.  There are some really big
problems here.  BSD vi works fine.  There are a host of
improvements in vt100 emulation/vi in SR10.2 (due out any time now,
I'm told).

>--
>
>			Marty Wiedmeyer
>			mort@dhump.lakesys.COM
    Peter Craine                +  You Klingon son, you killed my bastard
    Hewlett-Packard             +
    Chelsmford Response Center  +  *I* don't want my opinions.  Why would HP?