[comp.sys.apollo] Need help with BSD4.3 printing through parallel port...

lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (11/28/89)

Has anyone been able to get lpr printing to work with the
parallel port on the Apollo SPE board?  I've setup /etc/printcap
with /dev/pio.  Lpr queues jobs but nothing gets printed.  The
jobs just sit in the queue.  Lpd is running.  I'm trying to hook
up a HP Laserjet if this makes a difference.  Any ideas?

Yan.
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~                          128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania
 /\    Darker grows the moon  And shadows steal across the prison of my room

jaeger@madnix.UUCP (Jay Jaeger) (11/30/89)

In article <17339@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:

>Has anyone been able to get lpr printing to work with the
>parallel port on the Apollo SPE board?  I've setup /etc/printcap
>with /dev/pio.  Lpr queues jobs but nothing gets printed.  The
>jobs just sit in the queue.  Lpd is running.  I'm trying to hook
>up a HP Laserjet if this makes a difference.  Any ideas?

We at WI DOT also had tons of trouble trying to make parallel printers
work under SR9.7.  We finally gave up.  I think there are some very
basic problems involving parallel ports, interrupts and Apollo device
drivers (in the kernel, not the ones that are really just filters that
Apollo sometimes calls "drivers").  Basically, I think that /dev/pio is
being asked to do an impossible task - PC parallel ports do not do well
being interrupt driven - one look at all the trouble the MINIX folks
have had in that area should convincie you.  Very best of luck.

(Sorry I don't have a signature line yet, I am:

			Jay R. Jaeger
			State of Wisconsin, Dept. of Transportation
			email (for now): madnix!jaeger   (I HOPE)

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (12/01/89)

In article <17339@netnews.upenn.edu> lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:

>Has anyone been able to get lpr printing to work with the
>parallel port on the Apollo SPE board?  I've setup /etc/printcap
>with /dev/pio.  Lpr queues jobs but nothing gets printed.  The
>jobs just sit in the queue.  Lpd is running.  I'm trying to hook
>up a HP Laserjet if this makes a difference.  Any ideas?

   You should be able to use Lpd to drive your printer if you can hook it
to the serial port. I'm not sure that it'll be worth the bother to
connect it to the parallel port. Yes SPE does provide a streams interface to
the parallel port, but you may also need to use a special "spe_$pio_set_mode"
call to configure the handshake options. This is OK within a new program
that you're writing, but an existing program like Lpd doesn't know
about this suff.
    It may not even be worth it from a speed stand point. I took one of
my prsvr HP LaserJet drivers and converted it from sio to pio output
as a test. I found that the SPE parallel I/O was about 20% faster than
the serial line at 9600 baud, and about 80% slower than the serial line
at 19200 baud. there was also lots more cpu overhead on the node when
driving the pio port. This was under sr9.7 with SPE v1.3, I've not tried
it under sr10.x.

Dave Funk

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (12/01/89)

I've written GPIO drivers for the IBM-PC/XT parallel card (which is
hardware compatible with the SPE parallel port) and the Ikon 10092/10097.
I run the XT card using programmed I/O and get roughly 60,000 characters
per second through it to our Shinko color printers (running on a DN3000,
on a DN3500 the rate goes up to roughly 100,000 bytes/sec). It seems
like the SPE driver must be trying to use interrupt driven I/O -- which
is a *very* bad idea with a character-at-a-time device. I will be
looking into doing a streams manager interface for these GPIO drivers
so that the parallel port can be simply referred to a /dev/lpt in
the print-server config file ala Michael Lampi's suggestion.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet