[comp.sys.apollo] X11R3 - When ?

sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (10/23/89)

Hiya,

     We here are wondering when Apollo is planning to release a version
of X11R3.  The current DomainX11 stuff is great.  But it is not release 3.

	maurice

Maurice Sharp
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson) (10/26/89)

Maurice Sharp <sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca> writes:

 >   We here are wondering when Apollo is planning to release a version
 > of X11R3.  The current DomainX11 stuff is great.  But it is not release 3.

At SR10.2, Domain/X11 (the "share-mode" server) v1.2 will be bundled
with base software. This is an R3 server in all the ways that matter.
All supplied clients are the R3 versions, as are all the libraries
(libXt, libX11, libXaw, ...). R3 font conventions are supported, as
indeed they are in v1.1(.p), the SR10.1(.p) layered product. R2 clients
continue to work with this server, with only the caveat that oldx11 must
be added to the default font path. The only R3 features that are not
available are backing store / save unders -- but these are optional
features according to the protocol.

____________________________________________________________   My opinions
Keith Dawson  Hewlett Packard Co.         508-256-0176 x5739   are my own.
              Graphics Technology Division / East
              300 Apollo Dr.  (CHR.03.DE)
              Chelmsford, MA  01824                      USA   My convictions
              Internet: dawson@apollo.hp.com                   are not for
              UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!dawson   public display.

mart@ele.tue.nl (Mart van Stiphout) (10/26/89)

Maurice Sharp <sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca> writes:
>   We here are wondering when Apollo is planning to release a version
> of X11R3.  The current DomainX11 stuff is great.  But it is not release 3.

I'm using Domain X on a DN3000 under SR9.7 (because some of our
commercial software does not yet run under 10.
I'm running with the dm in a dominant role and just the X server
in the background to be able to run X applications but
without having to use the more than terrible uwm window manager
(I'm very happy with dm).

Very often there seems to be some kind of deadlock.
This occurs if I click the mouse button to close to the edge of
an X window.
I also have trouble killing X. About 1 out of 3 times I logout
I have to blast some process away.
If I don't shut after blasting I'm bound to experience some
strange behavior the next day, such as shells hanging.

Has anyone experienced problems of the same nature?
--

Mart van Stiphout
mart@ele.tue.nl

krowitz%richter@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/26/89)

X11 is part of the OS release for SR10.2, which I am currently beta testing.
Call your sales office for the release date. It shouldn't be too much
longer.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

andrews@sdipl.oz (Andrew Schonberger) (12/02/89)

		I wrote and posted this a month ago, but a local gateway
		was not forwarding comp.sys.apollo

In article <4671c36f.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson)
writes:
    >At SR10.2, Domain/X11 (the "share-mode" server) v1.2 will be bundled
    >with base software. This is an R3 server in all the ways that matter.
    >All supplied clients are the R3 versions, as are all the libraries
    >(libXt, libX11, libXaw, ...).

Did anyone think about makeing these libraries 'installed' ones?
I thought about doing it myself, but there are some signs suggesting it's
not a trivial task.

First, the Domain/OS Programming Environment manual has a warning:
	Do not confuse INSTALLED LIBRARIES with LIBRARY FILES. Installed
	libraries are simply object files that are put into workstation's
	or process's address space. Library files are ... collections of
	object files.

Second, the manpages for 'cc' and 'ld' shortly describe options like:

		-W0,-pic     (for position-independent-code)
		-A loadhigh  (load at higher addresses)
		-A allmarks  (make all sections public)

Fine, so an installed library must be a SINGLE object file and must be
created carefully. I'd rather like to have this done by Apollo, just as
they did with the C library.

I assume it's worth doing, not only for the basic libX11, but also
for libXt and libXaw. Just watch the increase in size when a compiled
object module (using widgets) gets linked with these libraries.

When a workstation runs X-windows, there are always a few clients active,
and much of their code consists of common widget and Xlib modules.
Having a single copy of the library code would reduce memory requirements
and make updates/patches more easy to install.

Andrew Schonberger         -my opinions are private only-

Software Developments Int'l    INTERNET: andrews@sdipl.sdi.oz.au
845 Pacific Hwy, NSW 2067     or munnari!sdipl.sdi.oz.au!andrews@uunet.uu.net
Australia  +61-(2)-411-7200    UUNET: ..uunet!munnari!sdipl.sdi.oz.au!andrews
                              ACSNET: andrews@sdipl.sdi.oz